canon imageclass mf642cdw driver

Discussion in 'Post Processing, Printing, and Scanning' started by Jon Jacobs, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Jon Jacobs

Jon Jacobs New Member

Equipment:
    color imageclass mf642cdw printer
    just bought a canon imageclass mf642cdw printer.
    I successfully installed the drivers on my personal computer and connect via wi fi, successfully printing several documents (word and power point). When I print a pdf, the print just goes nowhere, but that's not my current issue. I'll ask about that later.

Here's my problem:
    My work computer does not have a dvd drive. I downloaded the putative drivers. MF642CMFDriverV6404WP.exe
    I AM an administrator on this computer. I select "run as administrator." It prompts me for type of connection and gives only two choices: USB or network. (I want Wi Fi). I select network as the closest match. It tells me: "You do not have sufficient privileges to install the program. Log on again with administrator privileges." I DID logon with such privileges and selected "run as administrator." I have never encountered such an error on any other software I have installed. Please help. Is there a different driver for installing for wi fi? BTW, the printer was ON.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Welcome to the forum Jon,
    Not sure why you would get an error if you are the admin, i know with come of the printers i have owned i had to start with a hard connection and then connect it to wifi after install. I would not expect this if you already have the printer showing online via wifi.

Does this use a WPS for Wifi?? I would try removing and re establishing a new connection and see if that resolves the issue. Maybe connect via cable if possible ensure all drivers are installed and see if you can update the firware as well if you have not already. Then migrate back to wifi connectivity.
    upload_2022-4-18_14-42-4.png

upload_2022-4-18_14-42-43.png

3. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Also I wanted to call out that this site is a community of canon users not an official canon trouble-shooting forum, the may also be of help. We are a community of photographers working with various canon hardware.

Regarding the PDF issue, are you sure its not trying to print to pdf again? Windows likes to think of PDF as a printing output. I would be curious to see that the pdf is actually sitting in the printer queue for that machine.

4. Jon Jacobs

Jon Jacobs New Member

Equipment:
    Thank you very much!
    >I would not expect this if you already have the printer showing online via wifi.
    It does not show at all on this computer. I have full functionality on my personal computer, but I was able to install via its dvd drive. Unfortunately, my work computer does not have a dvd drive.
    >an official canon trouble-shooting forum, the may also be of help
    Do you have a URL of that forum?
    > i had to start with a hard connection and then connect it to wifi after install.
    That was how I had to install drivers for my old (old old...) printer, but that option was not mentioned in the instructions for my new printer. I'll give it a try.
    >pdf is actually sitting in the printer queue for that machine.
    I believe I checked that, but I'll try it again and be sure to check that possibility.
    Again, thank you!

5. johnsey

Equipment:
    Yeah my guess is that your getting an error because the printer is not reachable on wifi for some odd reason, if your using an administrator account. Hence a few of my suggestions.
    Canon Community is what it is called (at least on the US website), not sure how they treat it in other languages... https://community.usa.canon.com/

6. Jon Jacobs

Jon Jacobs New Member

Equipment:
    Thank you very much!
    Yes that is strange if the wifi is not visible to my work computer, but maybe it will go better if I start with USB and go from there. Worth a try anyway. I will check out the Canon Community and see what else I can find.