canon r6 sports

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by robbie50, Jun 24, 2022.

1. robbie50

robbie50 New Member

Equipment:
    canon r6
    hi

Canon R6 with EF 70-200mm plus adapter

I would like to catch the winner of a bikecontest on the finishline, frontal shot hands up

[​IMG]

View: original size

please advise about the settings?

- servo, which choice for focussing: 1 point? detection eyes plus following?

- which case for servo? 1? case A? extra tweakings for speed?

thank you

Rob

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, Robbie. May I suggest you go old school. get to the area that the race finishes and focus on a point that is where the finishing line is. Set the aperture to F16, select a fast shutter speed. For the ISO select it at a setting that gives correct lighting for the scene.

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I would imagine tracking using servo should be the way to go, but agree maybe stopping down a bit for more depth of field would help, what are you at 2.8? Try 4 or 5.6 if you still want background blurred but a bit more forgiving DOF. Without getting a ton of details for your distance to subject and the F stop used, etc... If aperture is wide open at 2.8 its narrow range of in focus before drop off. So your going to find it difficult with one shot regardless of the focus technology. Historically the rule is focus manually where you want the shot to happen ahead of time and shoot a burst, its something called a focus trap and works well, servo really took the guess work out of that process.

Whatever focus was grabbing drops of of in focus quickly, and the window is 2/3 behind the point and 1/3 in front. So if the range of focus is only 9 inches in depth. 6 inched behind the point focus grabbed and 3 in front would be the math. So with that example his face would fall out of focus even if camera perfectly grabbed the text on the shirt dead center of the frame.
    Also the biker is traveling quickly toward the camera so it is also working against the situation.
    I'd have to dig into the options on your newer R6 ( i have older gear) Generally I think servo should be used with quicker moving objects like this and it would help. I would adjust the focus point to where you want his face in the frame ahead of time and half press the focus to keep it tracking the subject, and I would use burst mode and start the shutter just as he finishes so you have a dozen shots to choose from as he crosses the finish line.

4. robbie50

robbie50 New Member

Equipment:
    canon r6
    thank you for your advise!
    i tries today: manually. 1/1000 6.3 and missed a lot
    then burst of 12 frames, tracking with servo, focus small square, tracking on without eyes, option case A: that worked ok
    (with eye derection the R6 was looking for eyes and then I missed the shot)