Canon Rebel SL1 bad port question

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Robert Carter, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Robert Carter

Robert Carter New Member

Equipment:
    canon rebel sl1
    I messed up the port where you put the mini usb to upload pics to my computer, can any of the other ports be used to upload pics? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks Robert.

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum Robert, get yourself a card reader and insert the SD card in that to transfer your images to your computer.

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Welcome to the forum Robert,

Craig is spot on, if the USB port has given out you will need to use a card reader. This camera was right before they started putting wifi in most of the lineup. Honestly though, I always use a card reader and have been since my 20d years ago. Wifi if you had it can be a bit cumbersome sometimes. SD cards are easy to read by most computers and card readers are dirt cheap, just be careful not to damage the card, that is the most common reason heavily used cards fail.

4. Robert Carter

Robert Carter New Member

Equipment:
    canon rebel sl1
    not to sound stupi but where does a card reader plug into on this camera?

5. Robert Carter

Robert Carter New Member

Equipment:
    canon rebel sl1
    Also can you point me in the right direction to a reader on ebay?

6. Robert Carter

Robert Carter New Member

Equipment:
    canon rebel sl1
    the card in my rebel is a large one if that helps

7. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Robert, a card reader is 2 1/2 inches or 70mm square and 1 inch or 25mm thick A USB to Micro USB cord plugs into the card reader and connects to the computer. You remove the CF or SD card from the camera and carefully insert the card into the reader. My card reader can allow up to 5 different card types to be used with it.
    I typed Sd card reader into Ebay and this is one of them
    USB 3.0 All In One Multi Memory Card Reader CF Micro SD HC SDXC TFLASH
    Brand new · SSK
    AU $11.95
    Any problems let me know.
    Caution when inserting the larger CF cards as the pins in the card reader are easily bent so since they are cheap I suggest you buy two in case of misshape. All the best Craig S.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  8. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Robert, cameras are like computers, for some of us they are a bit confusing when you come up against something that is a bit out of the ordinary. Please keep asking and we will work it out in the end.
    The community on the forum are patient and always willing to help.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
  9. Robert Carter

Robert Carter New Member

Equipment:
    canon rebel sl1
    Thank you Sir.

10. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Right your USB port on your camera is the only port for data transfer so a car reader is really the only option.
    Robert where do you live?? You may want to check amazon or other such suppliers rather than ebay where your purchase is much better protected. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=card+reader+sd&crid=37L9Z6IMDZZ81&sprefix=card+reader+sd,aps,230 The prices should be the same, and you can get retail rather than some reseller you may send you something that is not quite as described.

You need an SD card reader, having the CF option would be nice if you get a camera that uses them and decide to invest in those cards however it is not necessary. These card readers are inexpensive so either way you can get what you prefer in a reader. They also make readers that do not have cords and plug in to the USB port like this... I spent $10 on this years ago from best buy.
    upload_2022-3-6_13-14-7.png
    I got my CF reader over 15 years ago so I didn't bother with a bulkier multi reader that took a bunch of formats including CF since i already had one.