Canon S5 IS Powershot Lens Upgrade

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by Cameron Bradbury, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Cameron Bradbury

Cameron Bradbury New Member

Equipment:
    Canon S5 IS Powershot
    First time using this forum.
    I want to get into filming outdoors wildlife and did not want to spend the money on buying a more advanced camera until I was sure about spending time doing this.

That being said, what lens is recommended to help with zooming in on the camera and shooting video shots?

Thanks!

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Welcome to the forums Cameron!

I am not a big video shooter, but I'm also not clear on what you need from a lens for zooming while doing video that you want to improve from what you already have there.

Also want to clarify the gear, it says you have an S5 (circa 2007) which is a bridge camera, so you can not change the lens. You may be able to screw on filters. So at first glance you may be looking at something other than a S5 if you want to upgrade, which may not be a terrible idea, that camera has 12x optical zoom and video was below even 720p so its a smaller res video file.

Cameron Bradbury likes this.
  3. Cameron Bradbury

Cameron Bradbury New Member

Equipment:
    Canon S5 IS Powershot
    Thanks for the input Johnsey,

You can basically say that I am in need of a serious learning curve when it comes to camera use. You pretty much answered my question.

What would be a good beginner non expensive video camera or any brand of video cameras for outdoor use? I am only looking for good video quality of up to maybe 60 yards out?

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Not sure what your plan is for footage, if your strictly just wanting video i think any camera capable of HD will do, but it does sound like you just need a little zoom so optical zoom and optical image stabilization would be nice.

On a budget I am sure you can find a number camcorders suited specifically to video Canon Vixia, Sony Handycam, Panasonic all make some nice modest priced options here, but the cheap camcorder market has been replaced by more professional setups costing much more over the years. The cellular phone has killed low end photo and video as they don't sell very with what a new iphone or Samsung phone can do in your pocket.

Maybe the best bet is for you to upgrade to a newer bridge camera like a canon 540hs which is much like what your familiar with but a huge upgrade in specs.

A audio jack would be nice if you want to gather good wireless audio, but that may be asking too much at your price point.