Canon SX40HS Long exposition with high ISO, It it possible?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Hugo Melo, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Hugo Melo

Hugo Melo New Member

Equipment:
    Canon SX40HS
    Good afternoon everyone.
    I'm new to the forum and in the photographic world I am still crawling.
    I have a Canon SX40HS and I am struggling to take a picture of the stars in the night sky.
    Whenever the exposure time increases to more than 1 second the camera limits the ISO to 100 automatically.
    Does anyone know if there is some setting to fix It or is it really a camera limitation?
    Does anyone have a tip for some setting to help me take a picture of the stars in the sky with an ISO so low?

Thank you

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Few things, that seems odd as a dark night would suggester a higher ISO. That said, shooting something lower would be less susceptible to digital noise. Frankly you control light with ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. The iso has only so many stops of usable range and so does the aperture. Your easiest control of exposure here is time anyway. Many night sky shots a 30+ seconds long. Get a sturdy tripod and a remote trigger so you don't introduce camera shake by the button press (or use the delay option).

3. Hugo Melo

Hugo Melo New Member

Equipment:
    Canon SX40HS
    I see my friend. Thank for you reply.
    The problem is that this model seems to limit the ISO when Photo timing is longer than 1 sec. I am wondering if there is a way to change this setting in this particular câmera model.

4. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    welcome Hugo, I had a look at your problem and what Johnsey has suggested is correct. Now may I suggest a couple of work a rounds to two of his suggestions. I suggest if a sturdy tripod is not in your budget for a while, take your camera bag and make sure there is a bit of weight in it and hang it on the tripod. This will make the tripod more stable. If a remote trigger is in the same boat as the sturdy tripod purchase, place your camera's setting to 2 second timer. This will allow you to press the shutter button and step back, by he time the shutter fires 2 seconds later, all the vibration from pressing the shutter will have settled thus reducing camera shake. I now suggest that you look on You Tube and type in "
    Canon Powershot SX40 HS Tutorial: Step Thirty Two - CHDK to override ISO for night shots
    ". This video shows what you want to know about using the ISO at night so all the best with it

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019