Canon Webcam Utility issues

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Chris Mitchell, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Chris Mitchell

Chris Mitchell New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS1500D 18-55mm lens
    Hi all, new here and new to DSLR cameras. Hoping someone might be able to help - and sorry if this is not the right spot to post this.

Bought an EOS1500D to use for live streaming for work (on advice). I'm a teacher and we wanted to live stream concerts as parents aren't currently allowed on site due to COVID restrictions in my area.

However, I've found the camera can't do a completely clean HDMI output.

I therefore thought I'd try the Eos Webcam Utility (which should work with this model according to the Canon website). I'm using Windows 10 Enterprise on my work Acer laptop. I installed the software, but cannot it get it to work. The option for 'EOS Webcam Utility' will show up in Cisco WebEx but cannot connect to the camera. EOS Webcam Utility will not even show up as an option in OBS. I can use my built in webcam in both programs without a problem.

I've done quite a bit of research and tried all the troubleshooting suggestions I've come across - for example, uninstalling and reinstalling the software, making sure the regular EOS Utility is closed and not in the system tray, checking the camera does work with the regular EOS utility (it does, including the remote shooting mode).

I then tried it on my personal Mac (a 2012 model) - installed the webcam utility, and works it flawlessly on multiple software programs including OBS. I can therefore rule out a problem with the cable or the camera.

While as a last resort I can take my Mac to work for the things I need to do, I'd prefer to get it working on my work computer if I can. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Chris.

2. MikeM

MikeM Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
    EF 50mm
    EF 10-18mm
    I had the same issue with the beta version on my Lenovo laptop. Unfortunately I never did figure it out. I was going to try the non-beta version, but haven't had a chance yet.

3. Chris Mitchell

Chris Mitchell New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS1500D 18-55mm lens
    Thanks for the reply - that doesn't sound promising, but at least I know I'm not the only one with the issue!

4. FerAtCanon

FerAtCanon New Member

Equipment:
    EOS M10 + 15-14mm lens
    " The option for 'EOS Webcam Utility' will show up in Cisco WebEx but cannot connect to the camera. " Same here. I have only the webcam utility installed, not the other utilities. I can get my ESO M10 camera to connect tot my Android phone and see the live feed from the camera. But on my Lenovo thinkpad with Win 10 it will not work, not with the official version not with the former beta-release.

5. MikeM

MikeM Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
    EF 50mm
    EF 10-18mm
    I wanted to update this. I did finally get it working. I removed the beta version from my computer and installed the full release. I also recently upgraded the firmware on my camera too. I used it for a zoom meeting to see my out-of-town family on Christmas, worked great. A couple things, make sure the camera is on and that you have WIFI/NFC disabled, otherwise USB connections will not work in general. After plugging your camera into your computer, close any Canon utilities that may open automatically. One final item, be careful as to how long you use it as a webcam, as having it on too long can damage some of the internals due to overheating.

6. Mat Lewis

Mat Lewis New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 600D, EFS10-18mm, EFS18-55mm, EF75-300mm, EF50mm
    I'm having exactly the same issues. Has anyone figured out a solution yet? A few details:

Using a 600D with Windows 10 Pro on an HP Envy Laptop. Downloaded and installed latest firmware onto the camera (1.0.3). Zoom, Teams, Webex, and Skype all see the Webcam Utility but will not connect to the camera. OBS does not even see the webcam utility.
    I have made sure the Eos Utility is closed and out of the system trey and I have confirmed its not the cable or USB port as both of those work with the regular utility. I also have no problem using the Webcam utility on my MacBook apart form the fact that it is old and SLOW.

My current working theory is that it has something to do with Windows 10 Pro not playing nicely with the webcam utility but I haven't managed to find anything online to directly support that.

Does anyone have any other advice to try?

7. MikeM

MikeM Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
    EF 50mm
    EF 10-18mm
    My only other thought is to uninstall and install the driver fresh. When I upgraded from the beta version (which never worked) to the release version (which does work) the first step I took was to uninstall the beta version.

8. Gregory Lee

Gregory Lee Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    Canon M50
    Canon M100
    A bunch of lenses and other stuff
    I have an EOS M100 which also does not have a clean HDMI out, HOWEVER please keep reading... I found some info on YouTube on how to code an SD card with a small script which has enabled my non clean HDMI out camera body to output a clean HDMI signal :D There are a few videos out there on how to do it, I wonder if it would work for your 750D as well.

The instructions I used are here.

And here

I do not know if this will work on your camera but as the script is on an SD card which can be removed, there is no modification to your camera's firmware required. Just pop the card out and your camera will return to normal operation.

As I say, it worked for me on my M100 but I take no responsibility for anything you try with your camera.

G.