"Communications error"

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Nat Kayle, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Nat Kayle

Nat Kayle New Member

Equipment:
    Canon PowerShot A590IS
    Hello everyone. I signed up to get help with a problem I'm having with my "PowerShot" A590IS camera that I've had for many years. I tried to download some photos I've recently taken and when I did I got a message on the camera screen that said "Communications error". I've never had this problem before. It happens with two different computers (both have the Canon software). Otherwise, the camera seems to be working normally. Can someone tell me how to fix this problem?

Thanks much, Nat Kayle

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Generally this would imply that there is an issue with the cord or the USB port, since it happened on 2 computers the USB cord would be the likely culprit. So you could try a new USB cord.
    That said, I also read on Canon's website that sometimes this happens when you have more than 1000 images to transfer. If that is the case you should use a card reader to transfer them, and see if it acts normal after you don't have so many images.

3. Nat Kayle

Nat Kayle New Member

Equipment:
    Canon PowerShot A590IS
    It's not the cord- I tried a identical cord from a friend's Cannon. It didn't work either.
    The card does have a lot of photos but most have been previously transferred.
    Can you or someone recommend a good card reader? That may be the best solution for now.

4. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    For an SD card reader I bought one years back that still works well, I like the USB stick design which you can find that either have a cap or slide to protect the connection when not in use. I like the portability and that there is not an extra cord to toss in the laptop bag. Something like this should work well: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VB6C3QJ/ref=twister_B07VFBX16H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 Not the exact one I have but same idea. (In fact I have had mine so long I'm sure it is only USB 2.0 speed.)

5. Nat Kayle

Nat Kayle New Member

Equipment:
    Canon PowerShot A590IS
    Thanks Johnsey. I just ordered the reader from Amazon.
    Now can someone recommend a good replacement for this A590IS camera.
    Nothing fancy- I just want a simple easy to use camera like the A590IS.

6. johnsey

Equipment:
    Well the last powershot Point&Shoot I bought (SD1200IS) is about the same age as yours.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the modest priced P&S (point and shoot) digital cameras out there. You can pay more for professional grade ones that give you manual control and raw shooting but it sounds like you do not need that. Are there any features you would like, such as waterproof?

Another thing is at the lower end of the P&S range sales have really suffered for everyone since generally speaking IPhone/Samsung type smart phones have caught up to the quality a number of years ago, taking out the value add for carrying a compact camera.

Now when I did buy these type of point and shoot cameras I usually watched the prices online and at bestbuy and then grabbed the model when the price dropped as the new one had been out for a few months and they wanted to get last years model off the shelf.

7. Nat Kayle

Nat Kayle New Member

Equipment:
    Canon PowerShot A590IS
    Ok, thanks. No, I don't need it be water-proof or do fancy things. Just something to take snapshots of the grand kids and such. Another just like the A590IS but working right would be fine. :)

8. johnsey

Equipment:
    Yup then I would focus on a higher megapixel power shot for $200 or less,.

Saw this on avazon, https://www.amazon.com/PowerShot-Di...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I believe the 180 came out in 2016, but its super compact, 20megapixel, comes with comes with an accessory bundle for 135, including that card reader. which I guess having a second one of those couldn't hurt. I think it fits what your looking for and is a nice little upgrade to what you had been using.

Nat Kayle likes this.
  9. Nat Kayle

Nat Kayle New Member

Equipment:
    Canon PowerShot A590IS
    Thanks Johnsey, I will check it out.