Connecting to image.canon with cell phone data

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Rayjay73, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Rayjay73

Rayjay73 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel 850d (T8i)
    Hello. I have recently started using the image.canon platform and can connect and use the platform with my EOS Rebel t8i when using my home LAN connection with no problems but when I attempt to use my cell phone data through hotspoting or tethering my camera to my cell phones mobile data it will not upload the photos to image.canon. My camera will connect to the hotspot created but seems to not recognize an internet connection through using cell phone mobile data, getting the error message err125. Not being able to use cell phone data to upload to image.canon seems redundant as it cant be used in the field.
    Is there a fix?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I believe this is because the phone connects to the camera's WiFi signal an the camera has no internet connectivity. It would take a bit of digging to validate my understanding here and for you to explain the process for each connection that you follow. But I believe there are a number of ways to connect including both WiFi and Bluetooth, and in the end it depends on if the hosting device retains its internet connection after pairing with the camera.

3. Rayjay73

Rayjay73 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel 850d (T8i)
    Johnsey, thank you for the response. The camera does connect to my phone with no issues, however does not seem to be able to use the cell data alone to establish an internet connection. It works fine with a LAN connection, even when I am connected to my LAN through my phone and connect to a hotspot created by my phone, it just doesn't seem to work without a LAN connection, which as said makes it not that useable in the field to immediately back up my pics. I can in the field use the Camera Assist app to get pics to my phone (then from there to Google Drive) but using image.canon in the field seemed easier as you can just select from the camera to upload as opposed to connecting the camera to my phone (and losing internet connection) to get pics from my camera to my phone. It seems the Cameras may have some communication issue with Cell data as internet sources.

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    What I am trying to say is that the phone connects to wifi of the camera not the other direction. In that case your phone has no internet because the camera has no internet. Unplug your router from the internet and connect to your phone to the router wifi, the phone will also have no internet if your router doesn't. If you can do a Bluetooth connection you should be in good shape I imagine, as the phone would maintain its LTE connection.