Dented Lens: Front Element

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by jamesclark111, May 6, 2020.

1. jamesclark111

jamesclark111 New Member

I made the rookie mistake of dropping my camera. After examining it, there seems to be very little damage. However, it is the front element (or the outer casing) of the lens that is dented, which detects collision and prevents the camera from opening and functioning.

Is there a particular tool that can help maneuver the dent so that the lens has room to open up? If not, can a professional fix it or take it apart even though the lens is built in?

Model: Canon Powershot SX 400 IS

Attached Files:

2. Edom31

Edom31 Member

Equipment:
    EOS 450D
    EOS D60
    Legacy Glass in these mounts (adapted to EF): Yashica C/Y; Olympus OM; Takumar/M42s
    That's no rookie mistake... that happens to everyone. In the future, invest in a metal hood, especially since you have a Powershot that the lens cannot be changed, you'll only need one good hood.

From the picture you show, that looks like a body injury (the lens is part of the body), I do not know of tools for this, for lenses there are tools for mending bended filter threards, but this is not the case. Looks like a shop-job.

3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    You are in luck, there is a cheap tool on ebay, caution is needed when you first use it.I boo booed and near tore the lens out of the body. gently, gently is the way to go.
    I suggest checking out YouTube on its use.

4. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Just checked on Ebay and they, cost between 60 to 65 aud. and are called Camera Lens Vise Tool Repair Filter Ring Adjustment.
    They are use on 27mm to 130mm,

5. Edom31

Edom31 Member

Equipment:
    EOS 450D
    EOS D60
    Legacy Glass in these mounts (adapted to EF): Yashica C/Y; Olympus OM; Takumar/M42s
    Hey Craig - I've seen these... these are good for lenses with bent filter rings. But OP, I believe, has an isues where the camera body is part of the lens, and the camera body is what bended into the lens (which moves back andforwards)...

Or am I mistaken?

6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

I would be sending the camera to the camera doctor.

Yes you could have a hack with a flat blade screwdriver to push the lens barrel back into shape. This may work, and allow the lens to move backwards and forwards again. But is the lens still properly aligned after it's tumble? Has any damage been done to the inner workings of the lens? Only someone who really knows what they are doing would be able to answer that question.

Plus you may find that repair may cost more than a replacement.

Gary

7. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Odem31, can you put up some photos of the camera and the damage.
    This would be helpful in what I can possibly suggest.
    It is very hard to see the damage from the ones you have up.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  8. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well it looks to me that only the pink body of the camera is bent, looking at photos they extended the camera body to the front of the lens barrel when retracted. In this case I would consider the pink outer part just a protective housing around the lens barrel, since it seems to not actually be part of the zooming or focusing mechanism. (the inner and outer barrel seem to be hidden inside the pink housing.

Either way the pink housing took the impact and i can see is miss-shaped. and it looks like the black barrel that extends when zooming is not bent at all. So in theory if you can relive the pressure on the barrel it should work fine.
    The tool mentioned above would work to push damage out from the filter ring, which is not the issue from what I can see.
    Canon may have a process and tools for this not sure they would share their secrets. :D

If I was performing this surgery I would protect with some good padding and probably try to apply ever so light pressure with a bench vise. The metal is very soft so snugging it up will probably be way more than enough to bend the body. and the vise will chew into the metal quick, hence the padding.

You can see a gap on the sides and the top is right extremely close to the barrel an the bottom is pinching it. But if you can work where the gap starts growing and apply the pressure in from both sides just enough for a millimeter of movement I think you could get the pressure off the barrel and get it functioning again. My guess is one or two slight squeezes in the vise should shape it just enough to work again.

Again lens surgery is at your own risk, but this is a camera you can replace on ebay for $50 so I would at least try to fix it.

upload_2020-5-7_8-59-48.png upload_2020-5-7_8-55-53.png

9. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Looking at what Johnsey has said and the enlarged photo, I taken into consideration of the use of screwdrivers, I see you doing a bit of damage if you use one.
    You will need to buy a cheap one and modify it, also a cheap one has less carbon and other good stuff in it so it is a lot softer and easier to file.
    Look at the screwdriver and you will see that it is wedge shaped and square on the end.
    you will need to grind or file the wedge shape down to the thickness of the gap around the lens.
    You will also need to change the end of the screwdriver to match the curve of the lens.
    You will also need to put a L shape bend in the end of the screwdriver to act as a fulcrum.
    gently insert the modified screwdriver into the damage area and pry the damaged area open a small amount working from one end to the other area of damage.
    now repeat this procedure till the damaged area is relieved to allow movement of the lens.
    Slow, careful movement is needed.
    Now you will also need some small wedges, out of a sliver of wood .
    Gently put them in the area opposite the damaged area you are working on.
    This will stop the outer housing( the damaged bit) from moving.
    If you look at the photo there are two areas marked in pen.
    work on the top area and wedges in the bottom area.
    When the top area is completed, reverse the procedure.
    Turning the lens 180 degrees.
    Mostly have patience with it and all the best with it.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  10. John L

John L Active Member

I really wouldn't fart about with it - bite the bullet, buy a new camera and put the cost down to experience (unless it is covered by your household insurance).