Difference (if any) between Canon EOS M50, and Canon EOS M50 Compact

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Raven, May 2, 2020.

1. Raven

Raven New Member

Hi guys, I hope you might be able to help me out of a jam. The Canon EOS M50 has been recommended to me for shooting YouTube videos (), and I've seen it in action and I'm really impressed with it.

The person that recommended it to me has directed me to this link :-

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Mirror..._1_3?keywords=canon+m50&qid=1583271170&sr=8-3

Unfortunately, the only one that I can find is this one :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-M50-...rorless+vlogging+camera&qid=1588455677&sr=8-3

and I have noticed it is subtly different than the link I was originally sent, insofar as it appears to be a compact version of the one that was recommended to me, and has a 2" display instead of a 3" display.

My question to you guys is, aside from the smaller display, are there going to be any technical differences between these models ? As in ... if I were to buy the compact version, would I still be able to produce videos of the same quality as in the original video that recommended it () ?

Thank you so much, and I genuinely do apologise for just how stupid a question this probably is - I'm really, really new at this =]

!?!?! Raven !?!?!

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2020

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Its the same camera, there was/is one m50. You ca see small discrepancies from the different listing on specs, always verify on the manufacture's website. it has a 3in screen. I've seen a lot of wrong info on the listings. Just bought a nice portable monitor for a 2nd screen with my laptop, listed multiple places as a touch screen,(it is not) if you check the Asus website the never said it was.

3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i have the M50 had it since jan this year and its a cracking cam, my first changeable lens one, as for the vid i cant help you there i only use it for stills, there are alot of people loving it for what you are after.

4. Raven

Raven New Member

Thanks so much @johnsey and @Caladina for responding so quickly, I really appreciate it =]] Hokay, so on the basis of your feedback, I'm going to go ahead and order the M50 compact from Amazon. Thank you both soooooo much, I really appreciate it, and I'll be sure to come back as my YouTube journey develops =D

!?!?! Raven !?!?!

5. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    when i got my one i got it with the 15-45 and the 55-200 lenses as a new box kit, those lenses to buy sepratly are pretty pricy, both proved to be very good lenses (speaking from a stills point of view) so if you do your youtube reviews you may find a package to suit you that might save you some money on a lens later.
    typing this i remember seeing a 'vloggers kit' it had external mike and aload of other stuff but i dismissed that from my search
    one thing to remember is the camera itself dosent have in body stabilization so if you have a choice of lenses and you are doing alot of walking around stuff stabilized lens might be something to look out for, the kit ones with IS work well.

6. Raven

Raven New Member

Thanks @Caladina, yep the package I went with comes with a 15-45 lens, as that's what Cathrin Manning says she uses for her YouTube videos (and she goes over the exact settings she uses on the camera to get the videos she puts out as well, which I found to be super helpful), so hopefully once it comes down and I've got it all tweaked, I'll be good to go =]]

Thanks again for all your help =D

!?!?! Raven !?!?!

7. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    i cant remember which vid it was on youtube but while i was looking for a fisheye lens for photography for my M50 someone mentiond they used a full frame ef mount (with adapter) fisheye lens o film on the 4k vid mode because it brought the 4k crop back out to a wide view without getting the fisheye look because it was cropped into the middle of the lenses field of view.
    i'm typing this from memory fom a few weeks ago so best to check out the facts first but it might be useful if you want a wider 4k vid, if it works.

8. Raven

Raven New Member

I'm only planning on using this M50 for the purposes of recording video of a presenter talking to the camera in a studio setup, so I'm hoping to be able to replicate the quality of the videos Cathrin puts out - mine's a completely different channel, I just really like the quality of her content =]] And I really am basically a complete n00b with digital cameras, so I didn't really understand the fish eye thing (sorry), but I hope you were able to find what you wanted =D and thanks again so much for your help =D

Just by way of an incidental update, the M50 has now arrived, so I'm just waiting on a 64GB SD card to come down so I can save some video content, and I can get cracking !! =D

Exciting times hehe - thanks again =D

!?!?! Raven !?!?!

9. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    might be worth getting an extra battery or canon power adapter, i think they do an adapter,

10. Raven

Raven New Member

I think that might be a very good idea =D Thanks Caladina =D

!?!?! Raven !?!?!

11. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    personally i try and stick to canon stuff when it involves batteries or electrics for my M50,

12. Raven

Raven New Member

Yeah I don't think I'd ever try non-official parts with this - it's my first decent camera in ... I can't even recall how long =D

!?!?! Raven !?!?!

13. ThomasDelaney

ThomasDelaney New Member

Equipment:
    EOS R, G7X II, EOS M50
    If you're just using it in doors and near a powerpoint then look at
    Compact Power Adapter CA-PS700 - Transformer to give the correct voltage
    DC Coupler DR-E12 - Dummy battery - keep an eye on the connections, you want the one where there's a lead that you can umplug from the dummy battery, there are variants of these that the lead is built in to the LP-E12 dummy for other cameras that used the LP-E12. You need the one where the lead plugs in to the base of the battery, there's a rubber port at the bottom of the EOS M50 that you can move to one side.

NB you can use the DR-E12 to plug in to a 7.2V port on a V-Mount battery plate. and run off of V-Mounts. . .

14. Raven

Raven New Member