Disc is full....but it isn't

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by jimdavis, Sep 29, 2020.

1. jimdavis

jimdavis New Member

Equipment:
    Canon SX520 HS
    I have a Canon SX520 HS that's worked great for several years. All of a sudden I get a message that the disc is full. But it isn't. I even put several different discs in, all with plenty of empty space but always get the disc is full message. Which means I can't use the camera.

2. MikeM

MikeM Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
    EF 50mm
    EF 10-18mm
    What size SD card are you using? It maybe that that camera is limited to using a 32gig SD card, and that is why you are getting that error.

3. jimdavis

jimdavis New Member

Equipment:
    Canon SX520 HS
    It's an 8 gig card I have been using for the past several years. Worked one day and didn't the next. Also tried a 1 gig card and a 16 megabyte card. Get the same "card is full" message on all of them. So it's not the card, it's the camera.

4. MikeM

MikeM Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
    EF 50mm
    EF 10-18mm
    Before ruling out the cards, I would put a new one in. Memory cards can and will go bad the older they get, especially if they have had a lot of writes.

5. jimdavis

jimdavis New Member

Equipment:
    Canon SX520 HS
    Yeah, I had decided to try that. All of the cards I have are fairly old but I find it a bit strange that all three of them would go bad. But it's worth a try.

6. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Are you saying the memory card is full is the issue reported by the camera? Is the card read only lock on?
    Did something else in your process change?

If the formatting has been tweaked from fat32 (i believe that is what canon uses). It may not read the card anymore... it could be as simple as if you started using a card reader on a mac and it left additional KBs on it. I used to swap external HDs between windows and mac and it adds stuff to the drive when it mounts. I could see the Canon camera freak out from the additional formatting in that case.

Canon has been clear that every time you insert a card they prefer users do a fresh format on the card to restore it to their formatting.

7. jimdavis

jimdavis New Member

Equipment:
    Canon SX520 HS
    Yes, the camera reports the memory card (all three that I tried) as full when I know for a fact they are not full. I have been using the same card for at least three or four years and all of a sudden it no longer works. Sorry, I don't know what "card read only lock on" means. I also do not have a clue how to do a fresh format.

8. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    upload_2020-9-30_16-20-24.png this is the read only lock on the card.

The instructions for the camera should explain how to format and erase the card, with your specific menus.

9. johnsey

Equipment:
    You did not mention you process around getting the images off of the card, I understand that you have been using the same card(s) for multiple years. I'm trying to walk through what could have happened and help you troubleshoot if it is a process or a formatting related problem, let me know how I can help.

1. Cards die
    2. Windows and Mac OS can format the card and make it unreadable by the camera.

10. jimdavis

jimdavis New Member

Equipment:
    Canon SX520 HS
    The cards are all unlocked. I ordered a new card that will be here tomorrow (thanks to Amazon) and if that doesn't work then I will look for my owner's manual. I just moved and I remember seeing it when packing up at the previous house so I know I have it but finding it cold be a challenge.

11. jimdavis

jimdavis New Member

Equipment:
    Canon SX520 HS
    I have a Mac Mini and how I get photos off the card is to insert the card into the slot on the back of the Mac. The card icon shows up on my desktop. I double click it and then can access my photos from the window that appears. I usually just drag the photos I want to the desktop and go from there. I just did that with one of my discs and nothing has changed.

12. jimdavis

jimdavis New Member

Equipment:
    Canon SX520 HS
    OK, a new card solved the problem. I guess all three of the prevous cards I tried are bad.

13. MikeM

MikeM Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
    EF 50mm
    EF 10-18mm
    Glad you are back up and running! This is why memory cards should never be considered permanent storage, they do wear out after a long period of usage.

14. jimdavis

jimdavis New Member

Equipment:
    Canon SX520 HS
    Good lesson learned. I had no idea they would go bad.

15. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    There is one other possibility and that could be the same as one of my photography students, He went along to Kmart and put his card in to their photo printer and to got a virus from it which disabled his card.

16. jimdavis

jimdavis New Member

Equipment:
    Canon SX520 HS
    That wouldn't apply in my case as my cards have only been in two places, my camera and my Mac computer. But thanks for the input.

17. rajputaman04

rajputaman04 New Member

Equipment:
    hj khnj
    I usually just drag the photos I want to the desktop and go from there. I just did that with one of my discs and nothing has changed.

18. Ellinor William

Ellinor William New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 90DSLR