DPP4 Pro starts but exits as soon as I click on a photo I want to edit

Discussion in 'Post Processing, Printing, and Scanning' started by boblite49, Jan 29, 2021.

1. boblite49

boblite49 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mark 2
    EF 70-300L
    Canon 80D
    The title explains the problem.
    I have no problem opening DPP4 Pro - it starts okay.
    But as soon as I open a folder and click on a photo, the app terminates without saying anything.

Will greatly appreciate info on any fixes.

2. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

I did not have DPP4 installed so I downloaded it and installed it on my laptop. I started it and opened a RAW file produced by my EOS-1Ds. No problem opening the RAW file but I found the program to be very non-intuitive and not easy to use. I recall trying it about 3 years ago and I was unimpressed with it then and my feelings have not changed.
    I have been using Photoshop for many years and I also use Lightroom Classic and ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate and all of these programs are intuitive to use.
    DPP works OK but I am not prepared to spend the time needed to get the best out of it. From memory when I used it previously I found that it was very basic and that is about all you can expect for a free program. Others might disagree.

If you want a capable free image editor then I suggest looking at GIMP https://www.gimp.org/
    It is supposed to be like Photoshop but it has a learning curve which I don't need or intend to climb.

As for DPP, I don't think it is worth the effort. But it happily opened a RAW file from an 18 year old Canon.
    I was using an ASUS laptop which I purchased last year with an i5 Intel processor and 16GB of RAM.

3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Have you checked for updates and installed the latest version? 4.13.10

Gary

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Agreed, please confirm the version you are running and the OS which you are running it on... I would venture to guess its not up to date.

5. boblite49

boblite49 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mark 2
    EF 70-300L
    Canon 80D
    Thanks for the opine. I have to agree DPP is poorly organized. But I found that clicking on the VIEW tab and then selecting Tool Palette takes me into a very powerful though imprecise tool called Tone Curve adjustment.

I tried GIMP about five years ago. As you say the learning curve is intimidating... I did not find it easy or intuitive and gave up quickly.

I've found Corel PaintShop (a very peculiar name for a photo editor) quite effective and precise, with an enormous array of useful tools, including really great controls for reducing or increasing shadows, and increasing lighting on poorly lit areas. It also has a powerful HDR tool that lets you split a single RAW file into three HDR components that increase the dynamic range. That being said, apps designed for a particular brand of camera like DPP can sometimes do things that no other editor will do. This is especially true of the really strong free Nikon NX-D Capture tool for processing my Nikon pictures, which lets you select particular parts of a picture for modification of color and brightness... lets you turn a gray sky blue without affecting the rest of the picture.

I recently ventured into Adobe Light Room and found the initial interface confusing and non-intuitive. I know that it is very widely used, and maybe should try again, but I find I can achieve a great deal with Corel PaintShop, that is extraordinarily intuitive and well organized because I access all of the very extensive set of tools through a single page. Though I wish the layer menu was easier to use (I have yet to thoroughly master layering on CPP.)

6. boblite49

boblite49 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mark 2
    EF 70-300L
    Canon 80D
    Hmmmm.. Thanks for the info. I installed version 4.5.0.0 not long ago (can't find the date when I downloaded it but is not more than 2 years) and am surprised it has evolved so quickly to 4.13.10.

7. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I too was not a fan of LR initially and was a late adopter. I was used to managing everything through folders and editing everything in Photoshop as I had done for years. The thing is LR s not just an editor it is one stop shop workflow tool. You manage the files in the first "library" module, you import move rename folders the whole thing. Here you can rank and filer image add tags put them in collections. All sorts of things. Then you can flip into develop to do 99% of the editing you likely want to do. The next few module are for printing or exporting files for print or web. It really is nice once you get used to it as it really minimizes the file management side as it stores all edits in LR along side the original raw rather than needing to store raw for backup, and series of edits in separate folders.

8. boblite49

boblite49 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mark 2
    EF 70-300L
    Canon 80D
    Thanks. I found 4.13.10 on https://hk.canon/en/ ... lots of other sites have older versions

9. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I just clicked on the help tab in the software and clicked check for updates and the software done it's thing.

Sorry, but I am away from my laptop this week. But I can check the exact process when I get home.

Gary