Dummy battery isn't working with external battery?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Astrofiend, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Astrofiend

Astrofiend New Member

Hello, I have purchased a used Canon t3i for astrophotography, I'm new to dslr's so learning about it all has been fascinating. I wanted to increase battery life while taking hours of images so I ordered this dummy battery with a USB end that steps up the voltage....

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B078ZVWHWY?psc=1

Someone posted a review on the Amazon page saying they use this dummy battery with this power bank...

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00R97DNHE?psc=1

The specs seem to suggest that it would work fine. 5v -- 2.1a output. The camera turns on but when I take a picture it shuts off and won't turn back on until I put in the stock battery again.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions of other external batteries to use! Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2021

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Honestly the circuitry on these 3rd party accessories is suspect at best. Many people have had problems with just 3rd part batteries not registering with their cameras, most of us do not both buying anything but canon brand batteries, I imagine the dummy battery is the issue.

3. Astrofiend

Astrofiend New Member

What other way is there to extend battery life? When mounted to my Star Adventurer I'd have to take the camera off to swap batteries, which would lose the framing that took quite a bit of time to setup!

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Using a canon grip with two batteries has been the extent of what I have used, but I am sure there are others here that may have used a different method.

Astrofiend likes this.
  5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

How are you mounting your camera to the Star Adventurer? Any chance of you posting an image? The reason that I ask is that once you have your target framed, and you need to change batteries. You remove the camera, the tracker keeps tracking, you replace the battery and remount your camera.

I have had a quick look on the internet to see the location of the battery compartment and the tripod socket on your camera, but I didn't find anything that really helped me out to understand your problem.

Gary

6. Astrofiend

Astrofiend New Member

I mount it like this on the declination bracket.

[​IMG]

That knob just under the camera is for slow motion adjusting. It will rotate the camera 360°, so if I get something framed up and have to take it off it would be a pain to get back on facing the same direction.

Regardless though....I charged the external battery overnight to full (it came 75% charged), tried again today and it works? I used it for a multi hour session imaging M51 in -3°c temp and it handled everything fine. Not sure what that was all about but it works now apparently. I'm going to see

7. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    When I first read your post, I was wondering why you just didn't take a few fully charged batteries with you and change them as you go.

But if everything is working well, that is good. Problem solved.

What I was going to suggest to you, and it still might be something that you want to think about. But instead of mounting your camera directly to the L bracket and rotating the L bracket around the RA, and then rotating the camera with the 360° knob. Mount a decent ball head on the L bracket where the camera is shown in the image that you have posted, and of course your camera to the top of the ball mount. Yes, it is one more thing to buy, and yes if if it not up to the weight capability, it may slip. But you can aim your camera at your target really easily just using a ball head mount.

Plus I was wondering if you could then access the battery compartment of your camera without have to dismount the camera for a battery change.

Mounting the camera this way, I am able to access the battery compartments of my Pentax K3, Canon 7D, and Canon RP without any problems on mine. Takes seconds.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  8. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Sorry, one other question. What sort of lens or telescope are you using to shoot M51?

Gary