EOS 40D AF-ON Button / AE Lock button reversed?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by henryp21, Jul 3, 2022.

1. henryp21

henryp21 New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 40D + Ultrasonic 80-200mm
    Hi guys, I finally bought an used EOS 40D as my first DSLR camera, I have been reading the manual and going out trying to take pictures as well. But I noticed that when I press the AF-ON button, the asterisk shows up in the viewfinder, as if I pressed the AE Lock button. And when I press on the asterisk button the focus dot showed up in the viewfinder instead.

I also tried using the live view mode instead of the viewfinder, when I press on the AF-ON button nothing happens but when I press the asterisk button the LCD turns off and the camera starts trying to focus itself.

Did I mess up any settings? I made sure to clear the camera settings when I first gotten the camera from the seller.

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, Henry. By the sounds of things the camera has been set up for back button focus, the custom functions have been set to alternate settings, go into the menu and select the image of a camera, move down the list and select reset custom functions, this should reallocate the buttons back to the factory settings.