EOS 600D now not always taking the shot

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Malfie12, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Malfie12

Malfie12 New Member

Equipment:
    EOSD600 EFS 18 -55 EFS 55-250
    With my 600D in the last year (weekly all year) or so when using the 55-250 lens it would activate the autofocus but not settling on actual ready to go.
    It does it also with the 18-25 mm lens of late and will even not take the shot if I switch to MF, although eventually, it seems to operate just fine, until next time. I have cleaned the gold contacts on camera. It seems as though the problem is in the camera, not the lens, is there a solution, is it serviceable?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Canon customer service would be able to speak to this, I assume its serviceable but given the age of the camera, it may be worth spending the repair money on a newer body be it new or used. You can hold onto the old body as a backup or take to the beach camera as it sounds like it still has life in it. Maybe this is not the suggestion you wanted to hear just looking at it from if I was in the situation.

3. Malfie12

Malfie12 New Member

Equipment:
    Actually it really is the answer. Thank you. It was going to be my next question. I just need to be confident that my lenses are not at fault and that they will operate the same on a current EOS model. The 600D could have my recently acquired 50 mm f1.8 STM which I've hardly used, yet know I should. Thing is, what model to get. I use the camera just for photos, lots of them, but would probably look at video as well with the latest model.

4. Gregory Lee

Gregory Lee Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    Canon M50
    Canon M100
    A bunch of lenses and other stuff
    Presumably you are not trying to get your lens to focus on something which is too close? I.E. closer than the minimum focus distance that the lens is capable of focusing on?

5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    This table will give you a good idea of what where the different models are and let you jump between pages listing features pretty easily. generally speaking you can get another Rebel series like your T3 and it should suit you well for a several more years, if your looking for it to be a bit more rugged or customizable you could consider jumping up to the 80d/90d level. But there are a lot of options to consider for an upgrade.
    Camera suggestions would be easier knowing what you are looking for in a new purchase, and your budget.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Canon_EOS_digital_cameras

6. Malfie12

Malfie12 New Member

Equipment:
    Gregory. thanks for your reply.
    It is not a minimal distance thing as that is never when it begins. A lot of my subject target (RC sailboats on a lake) are 300 - 500 metres away with the EFS 55-250 lens and this waw the circumstances when it firs began over a year ago. that it now will do it with the 18-55 seems to indicate something in the camera body is responsible. but it's one of the enigmas that will suddenly turn up during a shoot where any number of shots taken in the same short period would be faultless. so it is intermittent, not prevailing. I previously found by aiming as something distinct a bit closer would get it back to normal but in recent times, not always. It seems more likely to occur only when whatever lens is being aimed, at a good distance. Usually, the lighting is always more than adequate. Yesterday I tried it from my car porch looking out across the small valley and neither lens would do it. Thing is, I can put up with it but I missed a great action snap the other day (the huge tree being felled into the lake) when it did it, so hence my decision to look for an answer or new camera.

7. Gregory Lee

Gregory Lee Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    Canon M50
    Canon M100
    A bunch of lenses and other stuff
    Fair enough it was worth asking though . Good luck :)

8. Malfie12

Malfie12 New Member

Equipment:
    Thanks for that, and the table.
    I only need the same entry level type as my humble needs are well covered even with the T3.. The current level is a model EOS 1500D which is just like mine but well enhanced. They sell at around $US400/$A600 which is my niche, but right now, in Australia, there is no stock in the more popular outlets, being an effect of the pandemic in various things like TVs. I guess I'll persevere with it for now and look to upgrade when things stabilize (don't know if it will ever be "normal" ;) )