EOS 77d

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Phil Bray, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Phil Bray

Phil Bray New Member

Equipment:
    EOS77d
    Has anybody else experienced problems with "water corrosion" to their 77d or similar equipment?

My EOS 77d was less than 9 months old when I was told that it was irreparable (the firmware update wouldn't complete) due to "corrosion caused by water entering the camera".

I have never taken my camera out in the rain (I know better than that) or exposed it to hazardous conditions (nor have I used it in the shower nor dropped it in the bath!). I know that not all cameras are designated as being "weatherproof" but I have never been anywhere that hasn't had weather of one sort or another.

The conjecture of the repair centre at Colombes, France is that water entered through the Digital Terminal port, even though I haven't even opened that cover because I have always used the WiFi/Bluetooth connectivity.

After over 50 years of being a loyal Canon user (such is my age), I feel disgusted at Canon's disrespectful attitude that I must have done something seriously wrong, absolving themselves of any possible manufacturing defect or design failure.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    No experience there, I have only had a 20d, a 5d2, and a 5d4, all in good working condition.

3. Phil Bray

Phil Bray New Member

Equipment:
    EOS77d
    Glad to hear it, Johnsey, and thanks for the reply. However, besides not injecting yourself with bleach, please do not buy a 77d or whatever Rebel number you know it as!

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Honestly it sounds like a bit of a perfect storm from your end, the lower rebel line being plastic an not weather sealed does make it susceptible.
    But I'm sure there are a large percent of the users of these camera bodies that have mild corrosion inside, and the camera works fine, so it was bad luck that your firmware update froze up. Sadly it also sounds like the customer service rep was less than nice about it and that is what really is unfortunate because that is how you can loose customers. I am sure that they were just doing their job and they have some rule about not repairing anything with visible corrosion, but presentation is everything, and it sounds like they dropped the ball there..
    My thought is that while you didn't directly expose it as expressed above, condensation was the most likely culprit. When going between noticeable temperature shifts i try to slowly introduce the camera, leave it in the bag till it acclimates to the temperature and reduces any condensation from forming on or inside the camera body.

5. Phil Bray

Phil Bray New Member

Equipment:
    EOS77d
    You're right, Johnsey, about gradually introducing to higher temperatures by keeping it in the camera bag as long as possible. I know that plastic bodied cameras are not totally weatherproof but there has to be some tolerance for variations in temperature and humidity, or else what's the point of taking a camera outdoors! If I was doing a photoshoot in the Amazonian rainforest one week and then the Artic the following week I probably would never have considered a 77d. However, the south west of France doesn't really count as being at either extreme.

Customer service and empathy has been particularly lacking; something that I didn't expect. In fact, it has resulted in me complaining directly to Mr Ishizuka, who is the CEO of Canon EMEA. Let's see what sort of response I get!