EOS R Burnt Screen or Sensor from Stars?!

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by James_B, Sep 2, 2019.

1. James_B

James_B New Member

Equipment:
    EOS R
    Hello Everyone,

Help or advice for a newbie appreciated please.

I have owned a great new EOS R for around a month and this weekend had a go at Astrophotography for the first time. I enjoyed this; no great photos but learnt a lot.

However, towards the end of the evening I noticed that some star spots appeared to have burnt into the viewfinder or sensor. Wherever I moved the camera, the stars appeared to stay where they were (one main star spot and a few much smaller ones.). Have I ruined my sensor or EVF?!

When I look into the EVF with the lens cap on, I can see white spots, I think exactly where the stars were. If I change to MF they highlight in red. They don’t appear to be visible in photos taken now with the lens cap on.

I know that you shouldn’t leave the canera facing the sun, or bright lights without the lens cap on (no idea why though actually), and carefully ensure I don’t do this. I had no idea that you had to be careful of stars?!

I was probably only taking photos for 90 minutes and moved the tripod multiple times, so probably didn’t have the camera in the same place for more than 10 minutes.

Exposure lengths, as I learned, varied from a few seconds to a couple of minutes or so.

Advice anyone?

Thanks in advance,

James