EOS R - Good for a first ever camera?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by TKhan10, Oct 28, 2020.

1. TKhan10

TKhan10 New Member

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum because I wanted to do some research before purchasing my very first camera, DSLR/Mirrorless or otherwise.

I have been eyeing the Canon EOS R for a good 6 months now, watching videos, reading reviews etc.

I am looking to make purchase of the EOS R with the mindset that even though it's slightly high maintenance compared to the older 80d or 90d type models... with time, commitment and practice, I would learn all I need to know after some months and not have to feel like an upgrade is needed... i guess the question is, am i correct to be doing this or should I be going with an older, more entry level gear?

Thank you in advance and I'm looking forward to learning more from you all.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I would look at it the other way, how much are you able to budget and how much control of shooting to you hope to see yourself getting into in the longer term. If you can afford to jump up to a 90d or a EOS R then by all means do so if you are looking for more control over the camera.

Despite the camera brand they all market several levels of camera to fit the current comfort of the user. The thing is, while a rebel is not going to get more advanced, you can always use the auto functions on the higher level of bodies. You'll save yourself money buy cutting out a needless upgrade in the not so distant future. I am not saying buy the most expensive camera you can afford but if you have an idea where you see yourself and what kind of features will be important to you it is worth thinking about. Buying a 500 dollar body that you will practically give away in 2 years could be better spent on a little bit of future proofing in the first place.
    Canon and Nikon are in the business of selling you as much gear as possible you don't need :p

3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    if you can afford it and your intention is learning on the R and then upgrading in the future you are best sticking with the Mirror less system as thats what the upgrade in the future is
    my starter camera is the M50, i've been enjoying learning all about modern photography system on this and mirror less does seem to be the way forward.

4. TKhan10

TKhan10 New Member

Thank you for your reply and advice.

I currently have a budget of around £3500-4000 (UK based). I have kept this budget in mind including purchases of certain lenses that I have researched in terms of what I want to achieve in the future.

My aim is to get to a point of using photography to become an income of mine either through model photography or small weddings/events. That's the long term goal.

I have been looking at the 85mm 1.2L ii USM, 24-70mm 2.8L and the 16-35mm 1.8 - all EF lenses as the RF are a little out of my reach if I want all 3.

I feel like I know it all in theory but we all know that's going to be a shock to the system when I actually have the camera in hand but I am eager to learn.

5. TKhan10

TKhan10 New Member

Thank you for your response, much appreciated.

Mirrorless definitely seems to be the way to go. I have seen a lot of videos on the M50 also.. how are you finding the battery life to be?

6. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    product photography might be a richer income though less exciting

7. TKhan10

TKhan10 New Member

I am open to all types of photography at the core. The path I decide to take may change after I'm hands on with a camera and see where the lens takes me, so to speak.

It's going to be a tough road and one of a lot of practice. I actually have a wedding lined up for myself in the summer of next year in Kashmir. I'm hoping to know my camera and lenses by that time, hopefully it pays off lol.

8. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    My thoughts are as follows.

I don't own the R, but I think it would be a great starting point for you. I guess that it has eye af. I have the RP and I really like the switch to mirrorless. In fact I don't think that I would ever go back. I find it just that little bit better and easier. If you buy EF lenses for now you can sell the R body and get an EF body if you don't get on with it.

I only own EF lenses and I use the basic adapter that came with the camera and it works seamlessly.

Have you considered looking on the used market for gear to try and save yourself a few dollars?

Gary

9. TKhan10

TKhan10 New Member

Thank you for your response.

The Eye AF was a major factor in my decision and considering that I longterm intend on heading towards portraiture, it made sense.

I have looked into the used market. Currently, even in a used state, the EOS R body and adapter seem to be around £1400 - and all the above mentioned lenses I mentioned have been at the used prices, varying between £700-1000 respectively.

Almost had a heart attack when i looked at the 85mm RF lens at 1.2, lol - £2400!
    Because I have decent funds available to me right now I thought I would spend well on the lenses but the cheaper, used market is definitely the path I will take. In time, if this works out for me and i can make an income from photography, i may choose to invest that into the RF lenses.

How have you found the RP to be for yourself and what type of photography are you using it for?

Thanks

10. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Just as another thought. Have you looked at third party equivalents? Yeah the RF mount lenses are a little eye watering. Hence the reason why I am sticking to EF. At this moment in time, the only down side about the adapter is that it pokes out a little bit from the body.

I love the thing. I have used dslr's for years. If my RP was dropped, stolen, lost etc. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another mirrorless camera. If I would buy another RP? Yes, but the R5 looks pretty impressive. But I use my RP for landscapes, wildlife, and low light photography. Sorry, portrait photography is not my thing.

Gary

11. TKhan10

TKhan10 New Member

Yes, I've been looking at Sigma lenses mostly. I can't remember the brand names right now but the names seemed to be of an East Asian origin.

I've watched some comparison videos of most of those lens to either Canon or Sigma and Tamron... though slightly cheaper, their focusing seems to be of an issue. But then again, thinking about it now, with the newer focus updates for the EOS R, that may no longer be much of an issue. I will look a little deeper into that, thanks.

The R5 looks a dream. For wildlife photography it seems a perfect fit. The reviews have been great for the photography aspect of the camera, it's a shame the overheating has made more of the 'news'. Though, more recent videos show the CFeX cards may be the problem and using the Atmos Ninja and making a few adjustments in the settings allows many to record for upto 2hrs at a time.l without overheating.

I was browsing the images uploaded to this forum and it seems that most, if not all, favour the wildlife, landscape type photography, don't remember seeing much else unless I'm looking at the wrong places.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  12. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    as you are in the uk Mpb is a good company i have used before , all the stuff i have had has come very well packaged etc.
    https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/

13. TKhan10

TKhan10 New Member

Thank you, appreciated.

14. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Is the focusing issue with a dslr or a mirrorless camera with the video's that you have been watching? I have one Sigma EF lens that seems to work fine on my RP.

I would agree with that. Once you are up and running, by all means feel free to add some images of other subjects.

Gary

15. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    i think He is referring to when they do several focus tests in rapid succession and some of the older ones miss a few times or are slower.

i've not had any problems with my off brand ones

16. TKhan10

TKhan10 New Member

I was speaking in relation to comparison test that have been done on the EOS R using different branded lenses. The Sigma 85mm 1.4 art, if I remember correctly was having issues when compared to the Canon EF 85mm.

Thinking about it, I doubt it's too major of an issue. I'm watching people review lenses and cameras but have also been within the field of photography for many many years. It was most likely good enough or even great for someone like me but I'm letting myself get a little carried away.

You are correct. They were mostly speed issues but considering what I am initially trying to get into with model photography that wouldn't be an issue and the time difference in focusing is most likely minuscule.

I need to start using my head a little more.

17. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    yeah, i just came back from a woodland walk, as it was turning to dusk there were bats flying around, tracking them and getting photos was like 100X harder than birds in flight as they dart about in unpredictable directions, makes birds in flight look easy.
    it was below light levels so the pics would only be silhouettes, but it was fun just trying to get them.
    M50 had no problem locking on to them, i had a heck of a time trying to keep them in frame
    pic below is at dusk at stupid iso levels.
    there might be better ones but i doubt it, its the first one on the set
    (major cropage)
    bat1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  18. TKhan10

TKhan10 New Member

You and many others here are inspiring me to attempt wildlife photography when I get the chance... I find this picture so cool. I just hope these travel restrictions are eased come the time of my camera/lens purchases.

Did you get an update for eye or animal focus on the M50 or is your current firmware the same from out the box?

Thanks

19. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    my lens and M50 are same as out the box, i do have the sigma dock but not used it yet,
    as for the travel, the bats were just a small walk from my house in north london park.

20. Barry Pearson

Barry Pearson New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    RF equipment. Current: R5; R; 15-35mm f/2.8; 24-70mm f/2.8; 70-200mm f/2.8; 24-240mm f/4-f/6.3; 35mm f/1.8. Pre-ordered: 85mm f/2; 100-500mm f/4.5-f/7.1.
    I've only had my EOS R for a short time. But already I know it is far more capable than my first camera! Others here can give you better advice about the camera than I can.

But ... I suggest you think carefully about what lenses you buy for it. I spent more than I needed to initially!

Put very crudely, Canon's RF lenses come in two flavours:
    Top-class professional weather-sealed lenses at eye-watering prices; 1000s of pounds/dollars.
    Cheap-and-cheerful non-weather-sealed lenses with 5-stops of stabilisation: costing 100s of pounds/dollars.
    (Since the R doesn't have in-body stabilisation, in-lens stabilisation is very useful).

I think I could travel the world with just my three cheap-and-cheerful lenses, or even perhaps just two of them:
    24-240mm Superzoom; 35mm f/1.8 semi-macro; 85mm f/2 semi-macro.
    Then add the top-class expensive lenses once you know you need them.