EOS R tether shooting troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Gregory Arnold, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Gregory Arnold

Gregory Arnold New Member

Equipment:
    EOS R
    RF 24-105
    Rebel T6s
    Hello everyone

I had a very strange issue the other day while testing out studio tether shooting on the new EOS R I bought recently that I'll describe in the greatest detail I can.

First off, my camera could not be detected by Adobe Lightroom. I tried enabling/disabling WiFi because that stopped tethering in the past, removing/putting in SD card, checking firmware update. This led me to use Capture One instead which is where my problem happened.

Capture One detected my camera (huzzah!) but I immediately noticed the file transfer was very slow. After taking about a dozen or so shots, I noticed that some of them weren't even transferring to the computer. The buffer on the top screen eventually counted down to 0 as it was "trying" to write the images, but only one or two of about 15 images actually was transferred to the computer.

I tried everything I could think of: unplugging and replugging the tether cable on the camera and computer, restarting Capture One, restarting my computer, restarting my camera, adding a card, removing it, etc.

I'm really not sure what else to try at this point- has anyone else had an issue like this? What else can I do? Thank you for reading and responding.

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    May I suggest you make your query to Johnsey as he is more knowledgeable with the latest technology and generally spot on with his help.

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well I can attack this from a technical angle at least, since it isn't a camera I own and could trouble shoot the issue myself.
    • My first question was answered that you checked firmware, and the spring release fixed wireless, granted there are two newer releases one only a few weeks ago, but I will assume you are up to date as mentioned with 1.4.
    • Secondly I would verify our LR and Capture one are up to date, LR tethered only started being supported this May with the most recent update to LR 8.3. Capture One may be in the same boat with technical support for the camera.
    Are you using the up to date version of the EOS utility for the camera? 3.11 came out Oct 9.
    You aren't the only person after tethering support rolled out having issues... https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?threads/canon-eos-r-tethering-in-lightroom.37222/ which gives some good things to double check settings as well.

So having troubleshot tech issues with computer hardware over 2.5 decades my gut says this is likely a driver related issue given the support is out. Sure you may have a defective camera or cord but that is very unlikely.
    My suggestion would be to remove all canon software completely and re-strart computer. Re-install the newest canon software fresh and then re-install the firmware on camera as well, then make sure the adobe and capture one are up to date. Unfortunately with windows updating software and drivers can run into issues where a new clean install is what is needed,rather than updating the old version.