Eos R Touch Screen Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Odttg, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Odttg

Odttg New Member

Equipment:
    Canon eos r
    100 mm f2.8L
    16-35 f4L
    70-200 f2.8 Sigma DG mark 2
    150-600 Tamron
    Hi,

I have had my new eos r 4 weeks and today returned it back to the seller. The touch screen has developed an issue often randomly stated acting like it is being pressed with no presses. The screen randomly stopped working I reset the camera made sure touch screen was on. The initial issue developed with touch to focus not working then got worse in the end totally stopped working. The camera was not dropped etc perfect handling. I am hoping to buy a new one but concerned with manufacturing quality.

Has anyone else seen touch screen issues.

Thank you
    Imran

smitrea likes this.

2. smitrea

smitrea New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS R
    Hi, the same problem occurred to me. I would like to know if you solved the problem, and how?

3. Gregory Lee

Gregory Lee Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    Canon M50
    Canon M100
    A bunch of lenses and other stuff
    You fault is likely to be related to the following:
    1. Faulty touch screen digitiser.
    2. Damaged flexible circuit ribbon (which connects the articulating touchscreen to the main camera circuit boards)

The digitiser is (usually) a matrix of very thin horizontal and vertical contacts that lay across the front of the touch screen as a grid. The horizontal contacts make contact with the vertical ones when the screen is touched. The electronics of the camera is then able to use these contact points in the same way that we would figure out our position on a map with a grid reference number (X axis and Y axis co-ordinates).

Symptoms of the above listed faults:
    1. The touch screen will become un responsive to any touch.
    2. The touch screen acts as if it is being touched when it is not.

Digitisers are extremely difficult to replace. It is much more time and cost effective to replace the entire touch screen / digitiser assembly as a unit rather than try to separate the digitiser from the screen and attach a new one (assuming that you can get hold of a replacement digitiser only)

If you are able to buy a replacement touch screen assembly from eBay for example, and are willing to take apart your camera then you should be able to replace it your self. The replacement touch screen assembly will already have a new flexible circuit board attached and should hopefully solve your problem.

I would recommend that you take your camera to a professional repairer and pay for the service to have it repaired (or return it to Canon) as you will have some sort of warranty on the repair, and they are professionally equipped to complete this task.

Cheers G.