EOS R5 freezes

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Gilles Archambault, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Gilles Archambault

Gilles Archambault New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS R5
    Hi, I received my camera in October 2020 and since that date, my Canon EOS R5 freezes a couple of time a week. When the camera freezes, I have to wait between 10 to 30 seconds then it comes back alive.
    Sometimes, I need to remove the batteries (I have a battery grip).
    Gear/settings when it freezes:
    - Canon 600mm F/4 II
    - Manual mode
    - Mechanical Shutter H+
    - IS ON (I think all of the time, the IS is ON)
    - With or without my TC 1.4 (but freezes more often with TC 1.4x)
    - Firmware 1.3.1 (latest)
    - SanDisk Exterme PRO CFexpress 128GB

I use my 600mm II 80% of the time. It never freezes with my 300mm F/2.8 II, but I don't use it often.

Any idea on how to fix it?
    If possible I prefer not to send it to Canon Repair because this is my only camera.
    Thanks in advance,
    Gilles

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I would try to narrow down where the fault is. What happens if you remove the grip and shoot without it for a while and see if it is the grip. What sort of batteries are you using, and how charged are they? Can you select if it is the camera or the grip battery that gets used first? Also, have you tried cleaning the contacts on the 600mm?

Does it freeze when you are using other modes on the R5 with this combination?

Just a few thins to try.

Let us know how you get on.

Gary

3. Gilles Archambault

Equipment:
    Canon EOS R5
    Thanks Gary, I will give it a try and let you know in the coming weeks.
    So far, I can say that I use most of the time, two LP-E6N in my battery grip, and when they are at 50% level, I switch with two LP-E6NH. I removed my battery grip this morning and tried to clean the contacts. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that... since I never experienced this problem with my 300mm F/2.8 with or without the TC 1.4x.
    I always use Mechanical Shutter since I can't get used to the Electronic Shutter. :-(
    I will give the Electronic Shutter a try also.
    Thanks,
    Gilles

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Can I assume you have kept the firmware updated? These were some bug fixes in the april release...
    9. Fixes a phenomenon, in which, in rare instances, the camera does not function normally when using certain CFexpress cards.
    10. Fixes a phenomenon, in which in rare instances, the camera cannot function normally when the drive mode is set to "High-speed continuous shooting" to shoot still images continuously.
    11. Fixes a phenomenon in which the power may become suspended when the camera is powered via USB for an extended period of time.
    12. Fixes a phenomenon, in which part of the settings screen is incorrectly displayed in
    Firmware Version 1.2.1.

There is a new firmware release here in August as well you should check regularly the first two years, you should upgrade to that for sure and see if it still is happening.

Secondly... if everything is on newest firmware, and it is still persisting, I would actually consider contacting canon very soon as they have a 1 year warranty to cover equipment malfunctions and you are quickly approaching the end of that. It may be a know issue with long lenses and they can take care of it.

5. Gilles Archambault

Equipment:
    Canon EOS R5
    Thank you for the reply,
    Yes I have the latest firmware (1.3.1) but I know there is a brand new firmware (1.4.0) now and I will install it before my next shooting.
    I should receive the lens contact cleaner in a couple of days and I will use it to clean all the contacts of my lens, TC and camera. I have a feeling it has something to do with it. Or maybe the firmware with a long lens, but I know many people who have the same gear without experiencing this problem.
    And yes, before the end of my warranty (end of October), I will sent it to Canon, but then they will probably need the lens (600mm) also.
    I have this problem maybe once every 3000-5000 shots.
    Thanks again,
    Gilles