Excessive Noise with Canon EOS Rebel T5.

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Tonytee, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Tonytee

Tonytee Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    Greetings,

I have had this gear for just about two years now and recently noticed an ungodly amount of Noise in my images. This is even at a low ISO of 200. I mean it is really bad. I know this is a very good camera and when used with Canon's wonderful lenses it does produce some very nice images. Or, used to anyway.

Going through the manual and searching online I could not locate information describing to me how to prevent this in the future. All I could locate was a site telling me to keep the ISO at 100 at all times. I had
    never noticed this before but recently my images look like I photographed a wall made of cinder block.

I wonder if the camera is dying on me, after all it is a refurbished unit.

Any suggestions/solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Tony

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Ok, so you started off with clean images with this camera, and over time things have gone down hill.

Yes, I guess it could be on it's way out. But thoughts that come to mind to check are.

I would do a factory reset. Make sure that you are using the latest firmware. Are you shooting RAW or JEPG's?

Just to throw it out there, what is the state of your battery? Do you get the same noise when you use another card?

Other than that, I have no other suggestions.

Gary

3. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    Hello Gary and thanks for responding. I contacted Canon's Product Support and they believe the sensor is on its way out. Apparently there is no way to prevent this sort of thing from happening. They suggested sending in for some very expensive repairs or they will gladly include me in Canon's Upgrade Program should I decide to purchase more Canon Gear. I am shooting JPEG always. I did use the same SDHC Card and appears to be working fine. I did try another card and the same problem with Noise persisted.
    Thanks again,

Tony

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Could be a good reason for an upgrade of camera.;)

I wonder if it is a known issue with these cameras or this particular sensor.

Gary

5. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    Well, I do know that Canon manufactures their own sensors, however in this low end model, it may not be their best sensor. Yes, of course they would love to have me and everyone else spend more money with them. I am disappointed that Canon did not include a High ISO Noise feature in this T5. I can live with the problem, but that means more time in Post Photo Editing Software and I just hate that. :(

Thanks again,
    Tony

6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I would be curious to see if the problem persists when shooting RAW.

Any chance of rattling off a couple of images in RAW to see if you get the same problem.

Thanks

Gary

7. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    Sure, be right back. tt

8. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    Looks like it will have wait until morning or early afternoon, as I cannot get a good shot indoors. CYA in the morrow.

TT

9. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    No worries. No rush.

Gary

10. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    Okay, I will upload a photo now. This group was all shot in RAW, however I had no choice but to save it in JPEG in order to upload. I did not do any editing, not even downsizing. The Noise isn't too bad at ISO 400 but it is noticeable in the dark corners. Bright, sunny day with wind gusts so had to use faster than normal shutter speed. Check it out if you will and let me know what you think. Regards, Tony IMG_9464 (2).jpg
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 body with Canon EF-S 55~250mm, IS, II Lens.

1/250s, F/10, ISO 400, Manual Exposure Mode, No Fill Flash, Focal Length 250mm with Multi-Segment Metering. I seem to get better results with Multi-Segment on Bright, sunny days.
    IMG_9464 (2).jpg

11. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I don't think that the noise is too bad. Yes, it should be a little cleaner at that ISO, but I could live with this.

Gary