Filter Questions

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Kaylee, Jul 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Kaylee

Kaylee New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk2
    Hi

I am new here but I am having a technical nightmare.

I am trying to buy a filter at 77mm (what is this called where the mm number is on the lens cap)? to fit on a 67mm lens.

I don't know if I need a step up or step down ring for this filter - 77mm to 67mm

Also I am looking at 2 other filters of 49mm and 58mm but I don't have any lenses that say that size on them so what am I looking for?

My kit lens is a zoom lens even though I have a cropped frame camera - Canon EOS 7D Mk2

Can you help me? I have been doing photography a while but I still need help on some things.

Thanks

Kaylee

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Those are all common filter sizes. The diameter of the lens will give to the filter size, you can look this up for each lens you own easily online.
    http://www.eflens.com/lens_articles/ef_lenses_by_filter_size.html
    You did not mention which zoom you have, but the advice will not matter which exact lens you have. You can look at the lenses you have and the sizes, as well as any lenses you plan to have. And purchase accordingly depending on the filters you want.

For example most of my primes take 58mm and my L zooms take 77mm so I have a circular polarize in both sizes for convenience.
    I have a 100mm macro which takes a 67mm and a cheap step up ring to fit a 77mm filter on the 67mm lens thread.
    I do not advise a step down ring, mounting a smaller filter on a larger lens thread for example 52mm filter on 58mm lens thread, that will in most cases introduce noticeable vignetting to the image.

3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,

there are also some variable thread size filters that do away with step up rings you might want to take a look at too