Finding a Replacement Rubber Grip for My Powershot G5

Discussion in 'Canon PowerShot Series' started by Nicholas Turner, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Nicholas Turner

Nicholas Turner New Member

Equipment:
    EOS M10, Powershot sx210 i.s.
    Hi,

Today in the summer heat the glue that holds the rubber finger grip on my Poweshot G5 melted ! And the rubber grip is basically disintegrating slowly from being so old.
    I suspect it's impossible but, does anybody know of a replacement part or, if there is a 'repair' that can be made ?

Many Thanks,
    nick.

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Nick the deterioration of the rubber parts of camera gear is common, to stop the stickiness, rub the affected area with Isopropyl Alcohol using quetips or also known as cotton buds, I do not know if there are replacement parts available so contact your local Canon dealer.

3. Nicholas Turner

Equipment:

Thank you. The rubber is not sticky, bit I suspect is deteriorating. It's the glue that hold the rubber to the camera. It melted in today's heat. I'm going to re-stick the rubber parts with PVA glue after removing them and cleaning everything up.
    Thanks again.

4. ian1035nr

ian1035nr New Member

Equipment:
    Canon PowerShot G2
    Finding a replacement grip that isn't degrading will be a challenge. Even new old stock can begin to degrade once you start handling it.

There is a DIY solution that I've been using for years on all my old stuff with degrading rubber grips.

I use tennis racquet grip tape, using the old grip as a stencil to cut out a replacement. If it's something I know I'll be using a lot, I generally spring for a genuine leather grip tape. It's not as soft as a rubber, but it's significantly more durable and looks a bit classier. I had to do this recently on an old "portable" computer from the 80s who's padded handle had completely disintegrated over the years.

5. Nicholas Turner

Equipment:
    Thanks Ian,
    Yes, I've been exploring similar ideas. The leather grip tape sounds like a really nice idea though. I've been apprehensive because the G5 grip is '3D' shape, it folds around a corner and at the same time beneath the body of the camera. Although separate pieces of tape could get around that.

Many Thanks,
    Nick.

6. ian1035nr

ian1035nr New Member

Equipment:
    Canon PowerShot G2
    Rubber grip tape, especially overgrip tape is very stretchy and flexible, while being extremely thin. It's meant to go over a pre-existing racquet grip that's falling apart

Maybe you could shave down the edges of your G5's original grip by hair, lay some overgrip tape and then glue the whole thing into place?

If that fails, I'm almost positive that the G5 recycled the G3's body, just with a black paint job. You might have some luck finding a very cheap unit that's hardly seen any use, and salvage the grip.

7. Nicholas Turner

Equipment:
    Thanks Ian,
    Yes, those sound like good ideas too. I'm also keeping an eye out for a leather half case, although that might be almost impossible to find.
    Many Thanks,
    Nick.