Firmware update problem with Canon R8

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Irma, Jun 7, 2024.

1. Irma

Irma New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS R8
    When I started uploading pictures from Canon EOS R8 to the phone via bluetooth the camera app on the phone wanted to install an update. let it do that. This ended to a complete freezing of the camera with a text "update file error".
    I cannot use my camera any more.

I phoned to Canon Finland, but nobody phoned back. I found a video showing the update process done just like I did it.

What to do? Why isn't there any delete button to stop the process?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    You said you were using the phone app, did you update the phone app while the camera was connected or did you try update the firmware using ypur phones internet and blutooth? I would need to read but camera firmware is something that shuld be downloaded and done over wired connection and on a full battery so you do not brick the camera.

You can confirm my via memory card or via usb over computer eos utility mention of wired connectivity on this r8 download and user manual link. https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-r8#idReference=software-drivers

If you updated your phones app while connected to the camera you may also have caused the camera to be hung in a bad state. Although I have never seen that happen, but only own DSLR canons. I wish you luck re flashing the camera back to default.

Irma likes this.
  3. Irma

Irma New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS R8

4. Irma

Irma New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS R8
    I have no idea what happened. When getting a proposal for an update I did it like you do for your cell phone. I did not get any advices or warnings. It was too easy to begin the update.

5. Irma

Irma New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS R8
    I am not the only one to get an eos r8 camera stucked. The update did not finction properly. There is a bug. The camera goes to service.
    Warning. Do not update your eos r8 online before you get more information of the update process.

6. Irma

Irma New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS R8
    I have to send it to service. It will take 4-6 weeks! Incredible.

7. Alfred Pennyworth

Alfred Pennyworth New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Mark IV
    Go to the Canon official support site and download the latest firmware for the EOS R8. But first, format a memory card using your computer (preferably in FAT32). And, copy the downloaded firmware file to the root directory of the memory card. Next after inserting the card, turn on the camera while pressing a specific button combination that will force the firmware update mode. Like holding the "Menu" button while turning on the camera can work. I f you need any manual help, go to the manual or Canon's website for any specific instructions for the R8.

8. Irma

Irma New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS R8
    My IT-support at home succeded to get the upload to finnish by the instructions of the Canon support site and I am happy now. It is good to know that you can help yourself with this problen without sending your camera to the serrvice.