First-time full frame

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Ray200, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Ray200

Ray200 New Member

Hi all,
    A long time user of crop sensor Canons but my beloved 7D Mark II has now bitten the dust (or, more exactly, smashed off a rock from a great height after a tumble on a sheet of ice) and, so, I'm looking to move into the world of full frame. Yes, buying new lenses will be a problem but I was going to have to address this at some point anyway.
    In short, the 7D was great for wildlife, which was my original use, but I'm moving more towards landscapes (particularly night scenes) and still lifes. Considering my budget is c.£1,000 (c.$1,300) for the body and about the same for lens/es on top of that, what would the recommendation be for a full frame neophyte? The 6D is usually cited as a good choice, despite its age, and I was also looking at some old models with good specs (5D Mark III) but I'm prevaricating quite a bit. I've even considered the Sony A7 II but I've had no trouble with Canon and would prefer to stay with them.

Cheers,
    Ray

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well at quick glance the 6D is lighter and has GPS and WIFI capabilities where the 5d does not. The 5d3 has a better auto focus system and multiple card slots. Both would be good choices but depend on how you value their differences. Th a7s are also great cameras from what I hear. Are you actually starting over lens wise? Only the EF-s lenses you bought for your crop sensor cameras will not mount on full frame. Most of the EF lenses are full frame lenses.

3. Ray200

Ray200 New Member

Ho Johnsey,
    Yes, I'm starting over with the lenses. Luckily, a local photographer has two EF lenses (a wide angle and a 24-70mm) he'll sell to me at a reduced rate. Not ideal but it's a good compromise.
    The weight comparison between the 6D and the 5D Mark III won't be a problem as I'm usually carrying my Manfrotto tripod about and that's c.17kg. I just wonder if the picture quality between the two Canons is enough to offset the cost difference? Albeit, I see some good second-hand 5Ds for c.£800 on ebay. Really, I've been wavering on this for a week and I want to finally nail the thing. I'm not a pro but my pix do appear in local research papers and magazines. I taught Photoshop and InDesign at uni. but don't consider myself to be knowledgeable about the hardware as I tend to live in a rural location where access to a range of cameras is limited.
    I mentioned the two above but am open to considering other models.

Cheers,
    R.

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well both have the same processor, the 5d3 has 2 extra megapixels. You really shouldn't see much of a difference between them. I'm not one for pixel peeping that close as I have been perfectly happy with my 5d2 for the last decade.

This may be more of a discussion question but how are we defining picture quality? Noise? Megapixels?
    You can shoot in low light with ISOs of 6400 and get usable images, that's amazing how far things have come since the early 2000's and way outperforms film noise. I would argue if we are shooting that high of ISO then there is probably a better way to capture the image.
    Megapixels just make it easy to print large, the original 12mp 5D was able to print beautiful images up to poster size. And these higher end cameras with MP upwards of 50-100 are just showing the limits of the already expensive glass.
    Sure different camera sensors have tendencies with color, or if you have internal filters in front of the sensor you may have more or less problems with aliasing or color fringing.

OK soap box rant done. Both are great, both will have beautiful picture quality. The price and upgrade should be based on features. A large number of the ones on my site were done with a ancient 20d or my Pentax 67 film camera, some with my iPhone.

Example: I was thinking of going to the 5d4 as prices have come down a little for better auto focus and a pixel bump and having my Mk2 be the backup camera instead of my 15year old 20d. But I have also held off while researching to make sure I don't need to redo my whole flash and trigger system.

5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I know it is a little more than you want to spend. But what about the new mirrorless EOS RP. Throw in an EF adapter and you should be good to go. Small, and lightweight.

Gary

6. Ray200

Ray200 New Member

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the replies.
    Price is a factor. I do need to choose wisely as this camera will see me through for another few years I hope. I actually looked at the Nikon D750, but the offer of two excellent lenses at heavily discounted prices, and the fact I've used Canons for c.10 years, have both convinced me to stay with them.
    The RP is a bit out of my price range (not by much though). Reviews seem generally poor but this might be more to do with potential customers' lofty expectations after the Sony A7III. Generally, from what I've seen it looks a decent camera. Certainly, for my level, more than decent and compares well with the 6D Mark II.
    I think all the cameras mentioned here have their pros and cons, but all are actually good entry level FF cameras. "How long is a piece of string?" The 5D seems to be a really nice all-rounder. I'm leaning towards that. Mirrorless? I've used an old Sony (might have been the A7) and liked it. I'm still prevaricating.

R.