Flash on EOS Rebel T6i not flashing as expected

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by mwebster51, Aug 15, 2022.

1. mwebster51

mwebster51 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Eos Rebel T6i
    I have an EOS Rebel T6i. Recently, it seems the flash is not flashing when I think it should. I have the camera set in the Av mode. I have hit the lightning bolt button to release the flash and the flash device is exposed. I assumed the flash would go off each time I took a picture. Without changing anything, the subject, lighting or camera settings, the flash will go off one time then not go off for several pics then go off again. It seems to be random. When the flash does not go off the pic turns out quite dark. I am a beginner so please be kind. Is something wrong with the camera or is it me?

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum Mwecster51. AV is a auto setting mode and the camera will set it for a middle of the range setting and use the prevailing light and not the flash. Go into your menu and see if the flash setting is.
    If you have your camera's manual, read up on flash use in it. If you do not have the manual, you can download it for free on the canon website by typing in " Rebel T6i / manual".

mwebster51 likes this.