G5x fan; and a suggestion for its successor

Discussion in 'Canon PowerShot Series' started by Gnurps, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Gnurps

Gnurps New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 6D, G5x, 30D. Used to have G12 and earlier.
    I feel that the G5x is wonderful; like a miniature SLR because of its viewfinder and three control dials (front, rear, and around the lens). Sure, not as good image quality as a larger-sensor camera, not even as good as the Sony RX100IV. But its viewfinder and handling make it most of what I want in a Powershot-sized camera. ("No thank you" to those cameras without viewfinder.)

My one complaint is the battery longevity, related to its tiny size. My advice to Canon: Make a successor version that is slightly bigger, so it can handle a bigger battery. The G5x is already not small enough for a shirt pocket, because of the viewfinder. Many competitors in this class are heavier and larger. So I would sacrifice: another centimeter and maybe 100 grams in exchange for a battery that lasts 500, instead of just 200, shots.

Maybe in that size it could have a longer zoom range, or a larger sensor like the Powershot G1x.

Any suggestions for a competing camera? When buying last year, I saw no compacts with a viewfinder as convenient as the G5x.

2. Tomas2500

Tomas2500 New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon g9x ,g15,s95,g5,tx1
    Yes, I love what I see with this camera, a bigger battery would be great and maybe more video modes (I don't care about 4k but better slomo would be nice). I'm waiting for mark ii or price drop.