G'day from the Central Coast of NSW, Australia.

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by rayallen, Apr 29, 2017.

1. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Hello,
    I am a long time Pentax user and came here via an invite from Pentax forums.
    I do, however, have a genuine reason for being here. I was recently gifted two Canon DSLR bodies - an EOS 1Ds and a 20D. I have purchased a Canon EF 28-80 lens and a couple of 8GB Sandisk CF cards on eBay.
    They should arrive next week and I shall then be out shooting.

Yes, I know they are old models but they are both capable of producing good images. I am looking forward to shooting with a full frame camera - Canon's first full frame DSLR.

Regards,
    Ray Allen.

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I have the 1d mark 3 and there is a improvement in the photos I take with it compared to my 60d a cropped C sensor camera, the 1ds should be great to use the only draw-back is it is a little clunky and heavy to use for snap shot and street photography but brilliant for sports., landscape and portraiture shots

3. rayallen

Thanks for your comments. You are right. It is very heavy and well built. I don't intend using it as my everyday camera but there will be situations where I think it could excel. I was loaned an L-series 24-105 lens for a day and got some very good images so I have an idea of what it can do. But they were only JPG images as we were not able to work out how to set it to produce RAW. I now have the manual and have set the camera up the way I want it and I'm just waiting on a lens to arrive. Then I'll see how its RAW files go in Photoshop. Here is a sample C0EW0797.jpg image:

Vasile Guta-Ciucur likes this.
  4. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    go into your menu and adjust the setting there or go onto utube and look it up

5. rayallen

Thanks. I have the manual now so all is well.

6. pjv

pjv Guest

Welcome Ray. :)

7. rayallen

Thank you, pjv.

pjv likes this.
  8. paulh

paulh New Member

Equipment:
    A couple older Powershots !
    Hey there Ray! I just joined up tonight - could be fun. To others: like Ray, I'm a longtime Pentax Forums member, but frequently shoot with a couple old Powershot cameras I enjoy quite a bit :)

9. rayallen

Howdy Paul, good to see you here. You have produced some good images with those old Canons. I expect that my 1Ds is even older but, despite that, I am impressed with what it can do as I get more and more used to it. Here is one of my favourite images so far:
    C0EW0872.JPG

paulh likes this.