Gidday from the Ottawa Valley, Ontario.

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by MArk Boese, Aug 16, 2020.

1. MArk Boese

MArk Boese New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T100
    New user here. I have a low end Rebel T100 coming next week. I have taken pictures before, but not anything that could realistically be labelled "photography". I really want to learn this camera and how to shoot manually. I will be using this to mount to my Celestron Schmidt Cassegrain telescope and hopefully get some nice shots of the night sky.

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Hello and welcome to forum. Ask away with those questions.

I am feeling an astrophotography thread being opened up very soon.

Gary

3. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

G'day from me down here in Australia. And +1 to what Gary said.

4. Isac

Isac Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Cameras:
    7D / 7D Mark II / SX-50
    Canons-10 - 300mm
    Tamrons-17-400mm
    Sigmas-18-500
    Welcome MArk. You will learn a lot from this forum. I'm not convinced that "Manual" is the be all and end all for photography, Av and Tv are just as good if not better in a lot of situations. Ask away and have some fun here. Looking forward to some good night shots.

5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Welcome to the forum Mark, don't be afraid to ask away with any questions you may have. We have a diverse group of users here.

Learning manual is not nearly as daunting as it sounds. If you lock in an ISO ( the equivalent to film) you can use the in camera meter to dial in exposure with the shutter and aperture, which is a give and take relationship to allow the right amount of light to the image. After your comfortable with that you can add ISO as it is also the 3rd part of the given and take relationships in what is called the exposure triangle. Getting comfortable with all that you will have the basics down. We can definitely expand on the whys and hows of that but I did not want to throw too much a you :)

6. Bear1967

Bear1967 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Rebel 35mm
    Hello from another newbie and Rebel owner!