Has Cannon Connect Shorted My Camera?

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Tracy Adams, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Tracy Adams

Tracy Adams New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 70D
    Hi, I'm hoping someone can help

I recently downloaded the Canon Connect app onto my iPhone. I tested the app out by connecting my camera (70D) to my iPhone via Wifi, and took a sample picture to check that it worked. As soon as the picture was taken, an error message appeared on the camera display and I couldn't switch the camera off or get it to respond in any way. I eventually removed the battery and tried restarting the camera, but now can't get it to switch on at all.

I have tried charging the battery, plus a spare, in case it was a battery fault, but it won't work with either battery.

I'm not particularly technical, and would be grateful for any help, guidance, suggestions or ideas.

Many thanks in advance

Tracy

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Two questions:
    1. Are these Canon batteries? Cameras can become finicky to 3rd part batteries, if you still have the issue with a canon one then you probably do not have a battery.
    2. Are both the battery door and card slot door completely latched, and do not appear to have damage to the latch and switch under the door.
    You can see in the image a small switch, when the door is latched shut that switch is pushed and the camera will start. The camera has in place for both locations this precaution. I image that would be the second place to look for failure if the camera does not boot.

upload_2020-4-27_14-55-0.png

3. Tracy Adams

Tracy Adams New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 70D
    Hi, thanks for your reply

One battery is a Canon, the other is Top-Max, but I can’t get it to switch on with either

I’ve checked the battery slots, everything looks in good condition. I’ve used the camera for about 2 years with no problems until now and am absolutely stumped. I tried connecting it to my PC today but couldn’t get any response from it

Regards

Tracy A8B6C397-C27F-4090-9A86-93A2FFE01D52.jpeg

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    You can use something like a pen and push the switch in and see if it boots, that would identify if the door is pushing the switch. I would check that switch on both the battery and cf card area. Usually when camera can not boot, it thinks one of the doors is not shut.
    I would also consider cleaning battery contacts. Both on battery and inside grip. If it was me I would start with qtip and maybe some rubbing alcohol.

Aside from this my next step would be canon customer support.

5. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    As soon as i read the op i thought off brand battery could be the cause, i'm no expert at all in the field but have you had the off brand batteries tested? i seen alot of cases of off brand batteries frying cameras.