Having Focusing Problems With New Canon EOS 80D

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Tonytee, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Tonytee

Tonytee Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    I am noticing that areas where I have focused on an image come out soft, while areas I did not focus on, turn
    out very much in focus. I have tried many different settings in the Auto-Focus Menu, however, nothing seems to resolve this issue. If need be, I can upload an image to display the problem.
    In the image, you can clearly see where the berries are in focus and not the round ornament. ???
    Thanks,
    Tony IMG_0651.JPG

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Try manually focusing to ensure the focus is accurate where you put it and not an issue with the lens or focus screen. To me it looks like the camera is trying to focus on the contrasty area of berries which is what I expect from the camera on an auto mode.

I do not know the methods used to focus, but if your recomposing at all after focus and happen to let up on the shutter it will re-focus how the camera wants with that final shutter press. Using single shot mode: My method has always been to pick the single point I want out of the grid, hold the shutter to keep focus and complete the press after I do any adjustment to composition.

3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Tony, when I got my first auto focus camera, the manual stated that the camera would not focus on certain objects such as wire link fences, etc.
    In such cases to use manual focus. What I think is happening here is the camera is refusing to lock onto the red ball and locking on to the next object in the photo.
    I suggest you retake the photo in manual focus and if possible read your manual about auto focus, it may state something similar.
    My last question and suggestion, is how close was you as if you think of the depth of field. The aperture may be a bit wide open and as such the ball come out soft due it being outside the depth of field range, hope this helps, Craig S.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019