Hello from Delta PA

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Jenn, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Jenn

Jenn New Member

Equipment:
    none....yet!
    hello, as of right now I do not own a Canon camera. I currently have Nikon and am thinking of making the switch to Canon. I am into pet photography and macro and the images I've seen that I think are spectacular are from a Canon. But I don't know how much of that is processing but I feel like the quality has to be there from the get-go in order to have a great final result.

not trying to start a war here, just curious, anyone here make the switch?
    thanks!

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Welcome to the forums Jenn, there are plenty of us that own multiple camera systems. I'm sure there are a few Nikon users here that can speak to their experience.

Jenn likes this.
  3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hello and welcome to the forum Jenn.

I grew up using Pentax cameras, and I still have a Pentax dslr. It is not that the system is no good, it is just that the Canon system works better for what I like to photograph.

Gary

Barry Pearson and Jenn like this.
  4. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum Jenn, I have multiple brands cameras and lenses, the only issue you will have here is when a comp has been entered into, it is expected to have used a canon system, you are welcome any time if you need advice or wish to join in on the discussions.

Jenn likes this.
  5. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    Welcome Jenn, out of interest what body/sensor types do you have and are you looking for also same with lenses, what types do you already have?
    also with your comment about processing is this something you are not that keen on and rather use mostly un edited files?

Jenn likes this.
  6. porkphoto

porkphoto Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Cameras 1DmkIII, 1DSmkII, 50d, 7d, 6d, 70d, 5Ds ,90D , R7, R5
    Lens 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f4L IS, 100 f2.8L IS macro, 200 f2.8L, 300 f4L IS, 300 f2.8L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 500mm f4L IS
    Welcome to the forum.

Jenn likes this.
  7. Jenn

Jenn New Member

Equipment:
    none....yet!
    i have a d750 with the 24-120 f4 kit lens, 50mm f1.8. i don't mind the processing, I'm just wondering if I am comparing my SOOC images with edited images, I'm not sure that's not a fair comparison.

i am interested in getting into pet photography and it seems the images I see that I really like are coming from canon cameras. i am struggling to get a crisp image with my d750. i also like macro. if you have any suggestions I am all ears and thank you!

8. Jenn

Jenn New Member

Equipment:
    none....yet!
    what do you like to photograph?

9. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    Posting some of your pictures you are not happy with ie getting them pin sharp and posting the camera settings used is a great way to get help.

10. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Jenn, the first thing is to put up a image and what setting you have used as Caladina has said, without seeing any images and at a guess, you may have used auto and it selected a slow shutter speed, to fix this increase your iso setting and use P mode, this should allow you to do this. P mode is similar to auto but will allow you to make a few simple changes.

11. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

As a suggestion, are you able to steal, borrow, hire a Canon camera that you have your eyes on? Give that a go for a handful of days. See if you like the feel of the camera in your hand, if you like the way it operates, and the cameras output. What Canon camera are you looking at? If you are looking at pet photography, maybe one of the new EOS R series cameras with eye detect could be worth a look at.

I am sure that your idea of pet photography and mine is different. But I am using a RP and a 70-200 f4 L IS which is ok for chasing our dog.

IMG_0161_edited-1.jpg

I like landscape, wildlife, night time, and macro. I would like to up my game with night time and macro.

Gary

Barry Pearson likes this.
  12. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Hi Jenn, Do you shoot Jpg or RAW? I ask because with RAM onn any camera you will find that some post is needed be it color, saturation, sharpening, etc... Raw by design is unprocessed by the camera. Now Nikon/Canon/Pentax all handle jpg processing by the camera a bit differently so SOOC images on jpgs will have different feels for sure.

One thing I keyed in on is you mentioning macro, you don't have a dedicated macro, a proper pro grade macro will be razor sharp which is what your looking for it sounds like, no lens is perfect for all situations, your zoom for example is pretty good at being lots of things but it is not substitute for a portrait lens or a macro lens. Third part lenses have some stellar lenses which are available in multiple camera mounts, for example the sigma art lens are really nice.

Certain cameras and lenses do have a feel to them so if you are seeing macros you like from canon you should figure out what lens it is if you can (100mm L would be my guess). If you do jump into the canon camp the lens system I find easier than the Nikon one which so many different lens types and series. The Canon EF mount is full frame, EF-S is the crop body only lens, and the L lenses are the pro grade. And the EF lenses will mount to almost anything so if for example you get a mirror-less EOS R you can mount your that 100mm L macro to it with an EF to EOS R adapter.

13. johnsey

Equipment:
    I'm not pushing mirror-less btw, just using it as an example. I'm slow to jump ship so I foresee holding onto my DSLRs for several years to come.

14. kevin davies

kevin davies Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    eos 80D
    welcome try handling different brands see which feels best for you

15. Bear1967

Bear1967 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Rebel 35mm
    Hi Jenn from another Pennsylvanian!