Hello from Marinette Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by VaderXanth, Jan 3, 2023.

1. VaderXanth

VaderXanth New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T7
    EFS 18-55mm Lens
    Opteka 0.35 xAF Fisheye Lens
    Vivitar 0.43x Professional Wide Angle Lens with Macro (58mm Wide Angle)
    Vivitar 2.2x Professional Telephoto Lens (58mm Telephoto)
    Vivitar Filter Kit (UV Protective Filter, CPL Circular Polarizer Filter, FLD Florescent Filter) {58mm)
    Altura Close-Up Lenses (+1, +2, +4 and +10) {58mm}
    Altura Neutral Density Filter Set (ND2, ND4, ND8) {58mm}
    Altura Filter Kit (UV, CPL Polarizer, Density ND4) {58mm}
    Vivitar High Power 500mm/1000mm f/8 Telephoto Lens
    Ultimaxx 2x Teleconverter
    Various Collapsible and non-collapsable hoods
    Hello Everyone!

Seems I have fallen down quite the rabbit hole and purchased for myself a Canon EOS Rebel T7 with just a few lenses that I have absolutely no idea how they all work.

I come to this forum looking for experience and know-how to get myself out there taking some nice pictures with what I have.

I have taken a few pictures with the standard lens in both Auto mode and Manual but I'm looking to delve further and actually try some of my different lenses.

I firmly believe that I live in a great area to be taking some nice pictures (actually, any place would be a great place if you know what you're doing!) but I need a little help getting started. I have little experience with such a nice camera as this. My last camera (non phone) was a Kodak 110. (There's my age drop)

Anyways, sorry for the lengthy 'Hello', but Hello again! I am excited to be here and I hope that we can become friends!

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Welcome to the forum Vadar!

How familiar are you with just some of the basics of Shutter/Aperture, Depth of field, etc...? Sounds like you already have turned the camera to manual which is half the battle really. On a side note, the kodak 110 was my first camera, a hand me down from my mom when i was like 9. I quickly gradated to a Pentax k1000 in 7th grade.

The lenses are probably easier than he rest of that, you pick the lens that provides the view you want. At its simplest you can go wide and get a very large scene like in a vast landscape, or go with a long telephoto to shoot something you want to get very close to, telephotos also compress the background more when you shoot wide apertures/ low depth of field shots of subjects closer to you. Of course there are specialty lenses like macros and fish-eye. You can google all of these things to get an explanation of them, but if your very very green it probably would be a good start to go through a series of you tube videos or a podcast that covers all the basics in bite sized chunks.

Besides covering some of those basics, just getting reps in with your camera and each lens is probably the fastest way to learn, after that it is all about being intentional with the choices you make to get the look you desire, for example a portrait, maybe you shoot someone at say using an 85 mm at f1.8 so the background bokeh(blur) is nice, standing to where you used you feet to crop in for the portrait with that lens. And placing them with background that is not very busy and is a distance away so that the bokeh really separates the person from the background. All about intentional choices. :)

VaderXanth likes this.
  3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

As you may have noticed, things have moved on a little since the days of the Kodak 110, and yes, I had one back in the day.

As a suggestion, just grab one 'other' bit of kit, and have a play with it. Ask some questions, and I am sure someone will yell out if you are unsure of something.

Gary

4. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, Vader, you will always fine someone on the forum here to help, all you have to do is ask.
    We have a monthly challenge, this month it is "Aperture". Intentionally use Aperture to control the depth of field in your images.
    Have a go as this will assist in improving your photography, all the best, Craig.

5. cooldood

cooldood Member

Equipment:
    EOS RP
    Welcome, and I can help you a lot. Just do the exact opposite of everything I say and you will do good.