Hello from Maryland

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Michael T Hall, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Michael T Hall

Michael T Hall New Member

Equipment:
    Nothing at the moment but want to get started in the DSLR world. Used to have a Nikon F series back in the day of film cameras.
    Hi. My name is Mike. I was passionate about landscape photography back in mid 70's through the early 90's. When the digital cameras took over I simply gave up. I used a really nice Nikon F series and then got a Canon T90. Both were film cameras. I now want to start again, but my budget is slender so I am trying to learn all I can so I can make a good decision. Completely new to DSLRs. I am confused about the last decade of models and can't tell why it seems like some models have two different ways to refer to them.
    Thanks for reading this.

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. When digital first came out, I pretty well gave up photography as well. But I have been using digital for a while now. So by all means, ask away about things that confuse you. Someone will come along and answer your questions.

Regards

Gary

Michael T Hall likes this.
  3. ChipB

ChipB Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 80D, 100-400L, 24-105L, 17-85 USM, 70-300 NANO, 100 2.8 macro
    Hi Mike - welcome to the forum. I too spent a LOT of time researching the Canon product line after deciding to leave Pentax because of the lack of 3-rd party support. My main interest is wildlife photography, so decided to go with the 80D because of the 'extra' reach of APS-C and the 80D has weather sealing. As to the models with multiple names - for whatever reason Canon has decided that Europe and the USA should have separate designators for the same camera - maybe it's for warranty purposes???

Michael T Hall likes this.
  4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Canon is not the only brand to do the different name for a different market thing. Nikon F801 and N8008 come to mind. Why this is done? I have no idea.

Gary

5. porkphoto

porkphoto Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Cameras 1DmkIII, 1DSmkII, 50d, 7d, 6d, 70d, 5Ds ,90D , R7, R5
    Lens 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f4L IS, 100 f2.8L IS macro, 200 f2.8L, 300 f4L IS, 300 f2.8L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 500mm f4L IS
    Welcome to the forum.

6. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Hello Micheal, not to worry, no matter how many dodads they put on a camera photography basics still apply, eg: shutter, aperture and ISO or how sensitive the senor is ( it used to be how sensitive the film was).

7. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Welcome to the Forum Mike :)

As has been noted the different titles for the same cameras a due to different global markets and is something common across camera brands.
    You'll find a few different levels with the numbering system. The Rebels are the more consumer light weight plastic models. The 60,70, 80D is the advanced armature level I guess you could say, more features/manual control and more rugged build quality. The single digit bodies are mid level to pro. 7D is the only crop sensor and the 6,5, and 1D cameras are full frame. Wikipedia has a few good pages that show the whole lineup with models, years and links to the cameras to compare features if you go a generation or two older off of Craigslist instead of new.

If your on a budget you can surely start with a kit from the first level and move up later if you want. Or aim up a level and buy a used camera a generation or so older.