hello i,m new on here its about my canon 700D....

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Lenny D, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Lenny D

Lenny D New Member

Equipment:
    canon 700D plus normal equipment with camera and various lens.
    the other morning i went out for a walk and took my camera with me, after taking about 12 photos i came home transfered them to my computor no problem. Later when i went to use my camera again i had a message say " card cannot be accessed".
    I tried another three cards with the same result also changing my battery still the same. When i u tubed it later the message seems to be this happens quite often, but no one seems to be able to cure it without sending it away to the makers or expert. (very expensive).
    Is this the only answer or is there an easier/other way ( wipe everthing off the settings and start again in hope. )

Any answers?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Is the SD card locked? SD cards have locks on them. Secondly is it a cheap card? I would stick with Sandisk/Lexar etc... well know brands will give you less trouble. I have seen people have problems with off brand cards right out of the box even.

3. Lenny D

Lenny D New Member

Equipment:
    no the cards is,nt locked and has been formated (three cards) and yes they are sandisk. tried most thing that ain,t to tec but have run out of ideas and was hoping someone would come up with something different.
    The only other thing i can think of is a factory reset...not sure tho.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  4. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    My suggestion is not very technical, and I don't foresee a reset making a difference. There are some people that have issues with transferring images. I do not know your full process, but it could be related to the software. I do not want to make assumptions and its hard to diagnose. EOS utility transfer has proper versions for each camera and operating system, anything involving connecting the camera to the computer should follow their documentation. If you are trying some other import method it could be part of the problem.

First:
    • Please try a card reader to confirm the card is not corrupted
    Second we can look at the import process, but a reset would be my last suggestion.
    How old is the card?

5. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, Lenny. This suggestion may throw another fly in the ointment but have you tried updating your camera's firmware.

6. Lenny D

Lenny D New Member

Equipment:
    i,ll try a reader but all 4 of my cards come up with the same message, also i checked the firmware update about two months ago and there was no update,but will look again just to check. cheers for the sugestions anyway.

7. johnsey

Equipment:
    If you have multiple cards all doing the same, this implies the camera is not making a good connection to the cards. The connectors could be dirty or one of them may be ever slightly bent. You can see if others online have cleaned or inspected their SD port and done anything but if the problem is very persistent you would probably have to send it away. This depends on your comfort level.
    • You could try inserting and ejecting a few times to see if that makes a good connection in camera and resolves the read/write error
    • It is safe to say your card has the photos and you should be able to get them with a card reader so you don't loose them.
    Honestly if it comes down to sending a 10 year old camera in for a $200 repair you may want to shop around and see if you have a good upgrade option for that money instead, as it is likely worth about the cost of repair and still works but is just very finicky. Something to think about in any event.

8. Lenny D

Lenny D New Member

Equipment:
    Thank you everybody for your suggestions, i,ve tried all with no luck, another option i have is to get in touch with our local camera club and see if anybody can come up with a suggestion wiyh there experience.
    If i get anywhere i,ll let you know...if i don,t get anywhere its a new camera...grrrrr

9. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    have you also tried facebook groups, you might reach someone there who has an answer

looking on youtube i found this.

from the authors comments : "check the memory slot first, usually the memory pin is broken or bent, it could also be the memory slot switch that doesn't work, if everything is normal, just check the rest on the pin slot, if something isn't the same as the one I uploaded in the video, try checking the path The stanzas are not the same, usually there is a broken line, if all the rests are on the normal pins, it means that the memory driver is faulty, usually the IC is damaged."

so maybe the useage of removing / inserting the card has caused a wear and tear fault in the card slot?

with my M50 i only use wifi to transfer my images so i probably will avoid wear and tear on the card slot as a by product of that transfer system.

might be time for an upgrade if you don't want to go the route of repair.

my other thought is how much life has the shutter mech got if the card slot is starting to 'wear out' do you know your shutter count?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  10. Lenny D

Lenny D New Member

Equipment:
    thank you Caladina for your reply and suggestions, have tried u tube, and other suggestions put on this site, a faulty card slot seems to be the main culprit as i,ve tried four different memory cards and put fully charged batteries but still no good.
    as i said previously i will visit my local camera club of which i,m not a member and see if they can come up with anything or bite the bullet and buy a new camera.
    it would still be helpful to know what has caused it as i did all the normal things i would do. so i could avoid them in the future.
    thanks again for your ideas if/when i sort it i will put on here for future reference.

11. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    another type of person that might be able to help either fix or find out the cause is an electronics repairer, they will be able to test the internal components and boards to see where any circuit breaks have occurred,
    probably something of a last ditch effort,

if you have to get a new camera do yu have any idea which type you are going to get, ie stick with a similar type or go mirrorless etc?

12. Lenny D

Lenny D New Member

Equipment:
    Thank you for your sugestions Caladina, i will try my local camera club plus there is a local person in my town but no reviews on his/her site. will ask the camera club to see if they recomend them.
    probably camera wise i will stick with a canon (as i have all canon gear) but either go for another 700d or next in line 750/800/850D
    i,m surprised no one else has had the same problem.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  13. johnsey

Equipment:
    Something to maybe think about:

Just curious if you have had the camera for 8 years why not make a jump up a level in the body and get something with a bit more on features and control over your shooting? I only mention it because the entry level bodies tend really simplify your shooting options. And it seems like you been shooting long enough to take a step up.

You could probably get a 70d which is a similar age for few hundred used. The 80D or 90D or 7d Mk2 are great upgrades but you will have to shop around for a good deal. If your investing money in new body this would be the time to think about upgrading

upload_2022-2-19_9-14-53.png

14. Lenny D

Lenny D New Member

Equipment:
    cheers Johnsey, i bought the 700d new in 2018. i,m reluctant to get second hand camera as not sure of the usage. I,m 75yrs and have nearly all canon lens and other gear so won,t go too far away from canon. Hence why i,ll stick with the models i mentioned earlier.(less to learn) lol.
    In the end i might have to go down the second had route so will remember the models you mentioned.

15. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    i had been looking at the 90D and M6mkII for their higher MP sensor but they are still holding a pretty price second hand.