Hello!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Murmillus, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Murmillus

Murmillus New Member

Equipment:
    PENTAX 645Z
    Hello Everybody, after more than 50 years with Pentax now thinking of switching gear. My K1 and 645z seem to be at an dead-end road.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Welcome to he forum Mur! I like you invested in Pentax, just never digital. I was investing in my 645 and 67 gear while building up my Canon DSLR system in parallel the last 20 years. Are you thinking of jumping into Mirror-less or going DSLR route?

3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Only you can answer if staying with Pentax is right for you or not.

I am also a long time Pentax user, 40ish years. The last Pentax camera I brought was the K3. I have not brought anything from the brand since then. I still own a small collection of K mount lenses, and yes, they still get used, that not as much now. I am not 100% sure my next step with the brand would be if the K3 were to die. Do I replace it or sell the remaining K mount stuff.

I brought a mirrorless full frame Canon camera. I was curious about a full frame sensor, and a mirrorless body.

Lets, talk about the pros and cons for a moment. I am sure that your Pentax is working fine, and it is not stopping you from taking images.

I am going to make an assumption that you are looking at the R mount cameras. I like an optical viewfinder more than an EVF. But for me, that is where it ends. An optical viewer is easier to look through for a long period of time. An EVF is not bad, and I am sure that they will only get better.

I ended up buying a RP, just because I was not 100% I was going to like using the camera. I battery life could be better, as could the speed of the AF. But size, weight, ease of use. Being able to use EF lenses, flash units, etc makes it easy. There are new R mount bodies being released as well as lenses.

If my RP were to die today, I will replace it with another R mount body. If my K mount body was to die, I am not sure what my next step would be with this system.

If possible, are you able to rent a Canon camera to play with for a week? Or do you know anyone with a Canon camera you borrow for a few days.

Gary

4. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, Murmillus.