Help Deciding my next SLR

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Kshitij Rangari, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Kshitij Rangari

Kshitij Rangari New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Rebel T5i
    Sigma 18-200mm
    Canon 50mm Portrait
    Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Hi Everyone,

I am new here. So I don't know if this is a right place to ask this question.
    I right now own a Canon Rebel T5i and below are the following lenses I have -
    1. Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens
    2. Sigma 18-200mm F3.5
    3. Canon 50mm Portrait
    I have had this camera for good 3 years now, I had bought this camera as a beginner, and now I believe I have reached Intermediate level and looking for a new mid level DSLR with which my old lens are compatible.

MY budget is Somewhere around $1000 - $1300.

I have Short listed following 2 Cameras as of now
    1. Canon 80D
    2. Canon 7D mark II
    I am mostly a landscape photographer, with love for long exposures. You can check out my work here - https://www.instagram.com/curlybracketsphotography/

I need help deciding my next Canon, Which one would be better from above mentioned cameras, also feel free to suggest alternative options.

Thank you.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well the 7dII I personally think is a better camera, they are quite comparable in several ways but it has a more rugged build faster frame rates, better weather sealing, just more of semi-pro directed bump up in camera. The 80d will give you a few more megapixels so you can print a few inches larger at 300dpi for your prints. I would choose the 7dII if it was me.

That said, I know you mentioned "for your lenses", and the first two are crop lenses, but your about to step up to a better camera and while you have minimal money invested in lenses its time to start thinking long term as you can get out of the lenses with minimal loss and start building a proper kit of EF lenses, and with the new mirror-less mount being so popular prices on used will trend downward going forward.

My thoughts are you could jump up to a used 5d3 for about a grand and pick up maybe a 17-40L or 16-35L to go with it since you like landscape. You may like the 14mm rokinon I picked up, its well suited for astro-photography. The pro gear will last you forever, most of my kit is a decade old.

3. porkphoto

porkphoto Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Cameras 1DmkIII, 1DSmkII, 50d, 7d, 6d, 70d, 5Ds ,90D , R7, R5
    Lens 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f4L IS, 100 f2.8L IS macro, 200 f2.8L, 300 f4L IS, 300 f2.8L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 500mm f4L IS
    Welcome to the forum. I agree with johnsey, the 5d lll is the way to go. Since you mentioned you do mostly landscapes, full frame and work on building your EF lens collection. Lens is key and not bodies.

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

I had a look at your instagram link to see what your main sort of image you take is.

To be honest with you, I wouldn't buy either of the cameras you have short listed. For low light work I would look at either the already mentioned 5D III, 6D, or 6DII. If you want mirrorless look at the EOS RP. These cameras will all be better for low light work than an aps-c camera. I would actually buy some better fast lenses first. Make sure that they are full frame compatible. Then upgrade your camera at a latter date. Low light photography calls out for fast lenses. Buy a decent fast zoom or some faster prime lenses, and you will see an instant improvement.

But if you feel as if you want to grab a camera, I would suggest the above cameras.

I hope this helps.

Let us know what you decide on.

Gary

5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    It's worth noting that the end of the year price cuts from canon are rolling out so the 6dII can be had for $1200 now.