Help to take photos of animals

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Jes Soendergaard, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Jes Soendergaard

Jes Soendergaard New Member

Equipment:
    CanonSX730 HS
    Hi there.
    Our daughter has a Canon Powershot SX730 HS. She is still a beginner and want to take great photos of animals in ZOO. But we do not know which program that will be best? Please see attached file for programs.
    Sorry it's not a "bigger" camera, but she choose it because of it's size and zoom. And she will get a bigger in time.
    Hope somebody can help, as we go for the ZOO saturday.
    All the best wishes
    Jes

Attached Files:

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Without re-stating the user guide, you have a couple of options.
    You have auto which will honestly just look at the light and try to shoot a lower iso and median shutter speed and appearture, this is only good for trying to grab a shot quick.
    The sport guy will shoot a fast shutter to freeze action, it may be handy for swinging monkeys.
    There is a scene option which I imagine gives you on screen scenes to pick from, a person icon may be a good option as well at the zoo for trying to shoot a wider aperture to have a soft background ( its a portrait icon).

If you dig into how to dial in shutter/aperture and iso manually for your exposure you can fine tune what kinda shot you want by using the M/tv/or av options.

3. Jes Soendergaard

Jes Soendergaard New Member

Equipment:
    CanonSX730 HS
    Thanks a lot.
    I tried to study the manual and to be honest... I have not been the owner of a decent camera for 25 years and have forgotten all about it.
    Our daughter hoped just to set the camera on one "program" and use it on all animals.
    Have a nice weekend!

4. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    you could also watch youtube vids, there are lots on the subject, you may even find some fewer vies that will see any comments you leave and answer or make a vid for you too, people with huge views don't always get a chance to reply.
    i too had just this year picked up a camera for the first time in 20 years and learnt a heck of alot from youtube.

one thing i can say is i much prefer getting photos from non captive animals rather than in the zoo, there i ageater satisfaction when its not handed to you on a plate so to say, a bit like going on an adventure to find your 'trophy' .
    with zoo animals you can get a bit overwhelmed with having so many to take pics of, so after a few visits with photos in mind.
    my favorite animals to photograph are my local foxes, try walking around a cemetery during the week when its quiter than weekend and see if you have a daytime fox family, they get up to all sorts of funny antics and cute stuff, patients comes into it alot more that at the zoo though.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020