HELP! UNSURE RE WHITE BALANCE INFO ON LCD SCREEN

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Amy Walters, May 27, 2019.

1. Amy Walters

Amy Walters Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50mm F/1.4 USM, Canon 100mm L IS Macro, Canon EF 16- 35mm f/1.4, Canon 28-70mm f/2.8 USM L, Canon 85mm f1.8 USM, Yongnuo wireless trigger system, Amazon basic speedlites, Elinchrom D lite1 , various softboxes, Canon support ring for Macro lens, all lens covers etc, etc
    For an assignment on my course I had to shoot an interior still life using each white balance setting (at the same focal length).

All went fine until I got to fluorescent and tungsten where next to the evaluative metering symbol two other unexpected symbols appeared!

I hadn't been aware of changing any settings other than the WB- can anyone explain this? I have a theory but I'm not 100% confident I'm right.

I've attached an image of the info I got- can any one explain?????

Thanks all in advance :)

Attached Files:

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Your referring to Flash exposure compensation 1/23 stops? Not sure if something else was changed in the setup or not. I usually shoot AWB and adjust in lightroom, or I use a gray card if I have a lighting situation with multiple light sources. I hardly pay attention to the symbols on the screen, lol.

3. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Yes, Johnsey, is correct. The first icon to the right of the metering icon is indicating flash compensation plus or minus and the next icon is indicating that the amount of compensation is + 1 2/3 stops. I don't know where you make that setting on your camera or flash but your manual will tell you. HTH.

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Took a glance at my camera, it actually is really easy to do and may have been an accident. If you turn the on dial all up to enable the quick control dial, and press ISO/Flash compensation on top the dial will add or subtract flash exposure compensation. I have always dialed it into the flash instead.

5. Amy Walters

Amy Walters Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50mm F/1.4 USM, Canon 100mm L IS Macro, Canon EF 16- 35mm f/1.4, Canon 28-70mm f/2.8 USM L, Canon 85mm f1.8 USM, Yongnuo wireless trigger system, Amazon basic speedlites, Elinchrom D lite1 , various softboxes, Canon support ring for Macro lens, all lens covers etc, etc
    After considering all the options yes it was an accident you were both right. The dial is ridiculously easy to move without meaning to. I'm really annoyed because the picture will be impossible to replicate and its for an assignment! Who can I be angry with? Canon? The camera? No I could never be angry with my camera. Thanks you two- you are my heros! I can always rely on you both for the right answer!

6. Amy Walters

Amy Walters Member

Equipment:
    Oh but I've got another question for you......sorry! I can hear you sighing all the way from London! Am about to post it in beginner questions but if you have time to check it out I'd really appreciate it :)