Cars and Machinery Home Plate Special ...

Discussion in 'Post Your Photos' started by dmr, Jun 13, 2017.

1. dmr

dmr Member Site Supporter

I didn't see a category for railroad, so this looks like the closest. Mods, please move it if you see fit.

Union Pacific is the only main-line railroad in the US which never retired steam, meaning in all of their history they've always had at least one active steam engine. (That's what "they" tell me, anyway.) :)

Here's the annual Home Plate Special, inward-bound to Omaha for the College World Series.

Yeah, the third one is overexposed. With that black engine it's kinda hard not to bury the shadows and/or blow out the highlights.

If you've never seen one of these close up, the size of the wheels is totally amazing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Thank you. I like seeing photos of steam engines.

3. dmr

You're very welcome ...

I don't have many of them but I have a few, and I want to be sure everything I post here was done on a Canon.

Here's a close-up of the machinery on one which is on permanent display. It's about 12 years old, shot on Kodachrome 64 with the Canon GIII.

[​IMG]

Vasile Guta-Ciucur and rayallen like this.
  4. dmr

Here are a couple more. I plead the 5th regarding what cameras these were taken with. :)

First is a "pan" shot that worked. The UP heritage engine just taking off on a local track.

The second is odd light, odd colors, using an odd film. Rollei/Agfa CN 200, which I just decided to try for the {whatever} of it. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vasile Guta-Ciucur likes this.
  5. Vasile Guta-Ciucur

Vasile Guta-Ciucur Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 100D
    Canon Lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 III
    Amazing tones for the first two pictures! I also like the second from the #4 post and the one from the #3 post! Great images!

6. dmr

Here's the last one of these, at least for a while. This is outward-bound just north of here.

The trip out was delayed, unfortunately, due to some dweeb tagging one of the cars when it sat on display next to the ballpark. :( It had to go to the shop to get cleaned up.

Fortunately for me, anyway, it went out when I was off and they even gave the approximate times on the local news that morning so I was able to quickly catch it.

[​IMG]

7. dmr

Here's a couple of related ones, shots of the "Big Boy" on display here in Omaha last year -- both being ("and now a word from our sponsor") :) genuine Canon shots ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]