How do i do a timelapse with a Canon Eos 4000D

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Xzoto, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Xzoto

Xzoto New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 4000D
    I cant really find a good explanation online.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    If you search the web for creating a time lapse you will get some articles like this: https://www.techradar.com/how-to/time-lapse-photography

But the general Idea is that you setup a shot on a tripod. Decide how long the timelapse should be and time span you want to cover.
    In the links example, at 24fps for a 30 second time lapse you need 720 shots. And if you take a photo every 30 seconds it will take 6 hours to produce the number of images. You can use a intervalometer to aide in this.

Anyway you can take all the images and import them into a program like Lightroom and process the images, then compile them into a time lapse video.

3. Ray200

Ray200 New Member

LRTimelapse is probably the best method. I've used it numerous times and it's worked like a dream. Explanation on how to do the shoot is all on the website.

Best,
    Ray

PS: I'm not connected to LRT in any way. I bought LRT2 and found it had problems with the so-called "Holy Grail" (sunsets and sunrises) but LRT5 is a big improvement.

4. KVD

KVD New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 4000D
    Hi Everyone. Is there a solution to this issue now? (Doing time lapse photos with Canon EOS 4000D).
    I have an iphone 6. I can't find an app or remote that is compatible with this camera to do time lapse photos. Thank you.

5. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    The Canon app does not do time-lapse. The 4000d appears very crippled with no center flash pin and no remote port. So using a interval timer doesn't appear possible. All you need to do is trigger the shutter, if you can do remotely with your camera and a stopwatch you can take the photos for a time-lapse. The step up cameras like SL2 have a time-lapse mode but they don't do long exposures. You want to do proper time-lapse you should get a upgraded body and intervalometer.

6. KVD

KVD New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 4000D
    Hi thanks for the reply. I emailed Canon helpdesk and they got back to me. I'm not sure if this solution will work exactly but I'll try later today and post here in case someone else finds this useful in the future:

Thank you for your request and for contacting Canon.

It is really great to hear that you are using a Canon EOS 4000D camera.

We would kindly inform you, you can make a timelapse video with the EOS Utility software and with laptop.

If you click below this link, you can download the EOS Utility user manual. On the page 77. you can see the information:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/7/0300016207/20/EOS_Utility_Instruction_Manual_3.12_Win_EN.pdf

EOS Utility software pack:

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/con...m:14-1655277&os=windows 10 (64-bit)&language=

7. johnsey

Equipment:
    Sounds good, let us know how that goes, I didn't even think of checking the tethered option of the EOS Utility. I see two drawbacks here, 1. its pretty clunky having to drag the computer along with, 2. as noted it will take time to process and download, so the longer the interval the better.

8. KVD

KVD New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 4000D
    5 secs is the shortest interval possible.
    Camera connects via USB cable only, via WIFI is not possible with this camera model. Make sure to run the 'EU 3' (find this in program86/ program folder). Make sure to disable wifi on the camera setting in-order for the usb connection to work.

9. Derrick Gagnon

Derrick Gagnon New Member

Step 1: download Eos utility, a computer controller that can be used to control advanced settings for older versions of cameras, head to this website: https://www.canon.ca/en/Features/EOS-Webcam-Utility

Step 2: Select your operating system and the type of your camera.

Step 3: Once Eos Utility is installed, connect your camera to your laptop via the USB 2.0 cord.

Step 4: Open the Eos Utility and select the stopwatch icon.

Step 5: Select the number of photo’s your camera will take and select the intervals between each photo.

Step 6: Once your camera is set up and all of your advanced settings are adjusted (White balance, manual focus) in the desired location hit start!

Note: Before you start, do a few test shots to make sure everything is in focus and looks good.