How to use AF "Cases" for action photos (5D Mark IV)

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by TBox, Aug 22, 2021.

1. TBox

TBox New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 5D Mark IV
    Hi everyone -

I must be a complete idiot because I cannot figure out how to use the AF "Case" settings for action photography. Here's my main problem: How do you actually USE these settings? I can find them. I can tweak them (tracking, auto switching, etc...) but how do you ENGAGE them for actual use. I choose the Case that I want, I hit "SET", but then what? When I go to shoot, It does not appear anything has been switched "in camera". My AF points don't appear to have changed (should they??). Nothing appears to be different when I shoot. I'm in Manual mode, Al Servo...but am I missing a step? Are the Case settings set once I select one and I just can't see them in the viewfinder? Very confused. Appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks ~

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    TBox likes this.
  3. TBox

TBox New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 5D Mark IV
    Ok Johnsey...that makes sense. Thanks very much for the reply and the explanation. Action photography is, for me, the weakest part of photography game. I shoot lots of dogs and getting them in focus as they move around is challenging for me, to say the least. I'm trying different set ups with my camera but I still get way more out of focus shots than in focus. I was hoping the "Case" settings would pick the best focus points to mesh with the settings when selected but I guess I have to do that manually. I do lots of portrait work as well and I always use the pinpoint focus setting for focusing on the eyes (most of the time). I guess need to keep experimenting with my focus point selection for action shots however.

Thanks again for the reply. Really appreciate it.

Tony

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2021
  4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I would set AF points to all and let the servo mode and camera AI do its thing, if you are locking in a focus point and using servo your really fighting against the cameras automation. I came from film so I don't usually get to fancy with my settings, aka single point focus tracking with subject or using a focus trap.
    BTW you can wrote the response outside of the Quote so it separates the quoted reply, I fixed your first reply in this thread.

5. TBox

TBox New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 5D Mark IV
    Thanks again Johnsey. I experimented a little yesterday with AF points and the Case settings and am already seeing some improvement. I'll try your suggestion regarding using all AF points and see how that works. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Take care ~

Tony

6. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum and a very nice camera too, Tony.

7. TBox

TBox New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 5D Mark IV
    Thank you Craig...and you are correct. The Canon 5D Mark IV is a spectacular camera. As indicated by my original post, I know just enough about it to be dangerous. I'm learning though...and I appreciate this forum. I plan to use it again!