How To Use EOS Utility With Multiple Cameras?

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by abrogard, Jan 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. abrogard

abrogard New Member

Equipment:
    canon g9
    I just got another eos. I typically download to my computer using usb cable and the EOS utility.
    If I do that with a new camera isn't it going to mix up the photos? Won't there be a conflict of some kind? Could I gt two photos with the same number? The numbers are given by the camera, I think, right? Well if so when the utility saves a photo from this camera with the same number as an existing saved photo from that camera will it overwrite it?
    There seems to be no configuration I can do...

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    The cameras and files are likely not in the overlapping numbering range, if they happen to be, I could see where you are concerned.
    My question is what are you doing with the files when you save them to the HD? I imagine you are not dumping 1000s of photos in the same folder, I have always managed folders by shooting situation and date, so even if file name matched from a camera 5 years ago it would be a non issue since they will never be saved in same folder. So the bigger question is how do you hand files in your workflow after you download them.
    Also on my 5d4 I can set the file name prefex from IMG_ to something else. Maybe your camera has that option? The only way you would have an issue is if they are put in the same folder with same name and then the OS will as about overwriting and you can always say no and it will rename the file and add a (1) in front of the file name or something like that.

3. abrogard

abrogard New Member

Equipment:
    canon g9
    It seems by default the EOS Utility keeps them in folders of date name in win10 'pictures' folder. that's the point.
    So I'm not game to let it happen and I currently only use one of them on the EOS utility and download the other one from the card directly. Take it out of the camera and put it in a reader. Don't like doing that because those cards can bend pins so easily.
    The two cards I'm currently using each have a 'DCIM' folder on them and within that folder the cameras have each created sub folders called 161Canon.
    And current numbers on those two cards are
    1. 6101 - 6061 and
    2. 6252 - 6391

Very close to the same range and obviously destined for the first to catch up with and overlap the second.

This surely would have been a very common thing in the day and I sort of expecting a reply telling me the recommended protocol advised by Canon.

I say 'in the day' because they are both ancient cameras: a 350D and a 400D.

What I do with them on disk when they're there? I leave the CR2 in those 'date-named' folders and add a jpg folder to each which I use Digital Photo Professional to create jpg's from the parent folder for.

From there I farm things out in different directions, making up compilations as required.

Your question 'what am I doing when I save them..' seems to suggest I have a choice and my whole point is that I don't seem to have a choice.... :)

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Hello abrogard,

I am not sure Canon has any recommended protocol past the default settings, and even that they probably would shy away from saying is "recommended" as photographers have different workflows that work for them. I should note that we are a forum of dedicated canon users, not a forum owned by canon. I do think you have options for setting up the download location...
    upload_2021-1-10_20-18-5.png

In any event my question was simply what do you do before importing into LR or your photo editing, I manage my own folder naming convention based on grouping images from the same shoot so I don't really care what the utility does as I will change it after.