I think I may of bought the wrong camera…

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Dogwoman, Jun 2, 2022.

1. Dogwoman

Dogwoman New Member

Equipment:
    M50 ii
    Hi all, first off, apologies for the longggg post, please help if you

I bought a canon m50 ii, really happy with it, it does what I need it to, and my very few clients have been happy with the images I’ve produced of their dogs. Yay!
    However, my dream lens, a 70-200 2.8 canon, I feel is going to be to big, bulky and just odd looking on such a small camera, that paired with the crop factor and also having to use an adapter, I’ve been told it’s a silly idea.
    Someone suggested today I invest in a dslr as well as my mirrorless. Not a bad shout and I do agree. so I’m after suggestions for a cheapish professionalish camera that isn’t going to break the bank. It would have to be second hand, and be sturdy enough to support my canon 70-200 (that only exists in my mind so far!) but I will have one, one day soon I hope.

someone suggested a 6D? What do you guys think? I’m thinking a full frame would pair well with my mirrorless?

any suggestions will be appreciated, cheers, and happy jubilee from England :)

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Options for M mount, you could adapt your ef to m, it will be quite bulky to the M body, so what else is out there?
    1. Well there are some M mount options for the m50 to get longer focal length, but that is not the beautiful 70-200 you speak of.
    2. There is a RF full frame mirrorless version of the 70-200 but it is even more expensive than the EF and looks like there is no way to go RF to M unless I am missing something (I don't own mirror-less so I am not as up on all the details as others may be) Either way not a good route.
    3. I do like the idea of getting a DSLR if your investing in one of those 70-200 L lenses (get the 2.8 IS if you can it is nice to have with a heavier lens like that.
    Options, well I honestly would suggest something newer than the first 6d
    • if you can get a 6dII that would be nice as it would have more modern feature set and sensor
    • If going old, I would suggest a low mileage 5d2 over the 6d first version, it should be only a few hundred bucks (cheaper and basically on par with a 6d)
    • A sleeper pick is the 5dSR i grabbed one for $1500 last year looks like they are clearing out back stock of those cheaply until they are gone, it is an insane amount of camera for that price point. If your looking at 6dII new prices ii would consider this over the 6dII.
    I think it all depends on price range, how modern, and what you can find used online and local for options. A non full frame consideration would be the 7dII, i think they have a reasonable price in the used market.

3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    welcome to the forum, Dogwoman, may I suggest you go on to Ebay and have a look at what is there in your price range. Next go onto You tube and see what camera, peaks your interest on Ebay, Camera shop or what ever to see what it looks like and it's pros and cons etc.
    Now my suggestion, this is base on what I use in my photography class for my senior students ( ages range from 58 to 94). That would be a 350D this camera is getting old but will suit your needs as a second camera. Pros, cheap and usually comes with a 28 to 55 kit lens, Cons, it's old. These cameras are nice to use and I have 2 of them and have never had any issues with them, Now like anyone giving advice it is based on my needs and the needs of my students.

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Just a thought.

Do you need or want the f2.8 version? Why I ask is that have you considered the f4 version? Smaller and lighter, so it may work better with your m50ii.

Gary

5. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i have been using the M50 for 2 1/2 years now, its been my first camera , i got it when i turned 50, my initial intereast was wild ike so i pretty soon got the sigma 100-400mm and i have been using that lens on the M50 for all that time, so nope, a huge lens on a small body is in no way at all silly, i have some pretty big prime lenses too like the sigm 105mm ƒ1.4

when you hold a camera and lens you very rarely hold it by just the body, even on a 50mm tiny lens, i always have one hand on the body and the other on the lens barrel, i also soot 99% of the time through the evf so i don't know if screen or hip shooters just hold the body only

As for a lens for you have you taken a look at the sigma 50-150mm ƒ2.8 EX APO OS, i have done a thread on it on this sight in post your pictures "test time"

its crop sensor lens, needs the regular adapter ef to ef-m not a speed booster, its very sharp at ƒ2.8 and razor sharp at ƒ4
    i got very lucky and shortly after discovering its existance i found a still in its box and unused one on ebay for £450,
    this is the 3rd gen one with OS which is the best one they did then as the other two before it never had OS, i'm not sure if the other two were APO either

the canon 70-200mm ƒ2.8 lenses was what i was looking at at the time and really wanted something in the starts at 50mm to 150mm range, also the two i had narrowed it down to were the usm Ii and III second hand on mpb.com here in uk, the III was out of my budget and the II was pushing it a bit but it was nearly going to be my first canon EF glass, the sigma 70-200mm ƒ2.8 was also considered but as the weights and prices were the same as the canon ones i thought i may as well get the canon to see how much better canon L glass was

well, the 50-150mm was the right focal for what i wanted, a close to medium fast lens, though i wanted something in the ƒ1.8 aperture at that focal range i knew it didnt exist, only the sigma 50-100mm is an ƒ1.8, that was too short at the long end and lacked OS so i left that in the shop lol

do you have the canon efm 18-150mm lens as yet? this lens is one of my most used efm lenses and its never let me down, though its only an ƒ3.5 to ƒ6.3 it does very well in daylight, its even surprised the heck out of me in near darkness in a closed hut producing an image from behind glass that even i couldn't see what was there with my own eyes
    Its image stabilization regularly gets me 1/6 hand hold sharp shot across its focal range.

its 18-150mm focal range and its close focusing distance makes for a very nice lens, one every M50 owner should have or at least try