I think there's moisture in my lens.

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by TheMadWelshman, Dec 29, 2019.

1. TheMadWelshman

TheMadWelshman New Member

Equipment:
    Eos 30D, Canon 55-200mm, Canon 18-55mm and assorted external flashes, remotes etc and battery Grip
    Hello. And I hope I can get some guidance towards this.

I just got my kit out to give it a once over ready for my 365day challenge next year

Instagram.com/angleseyin365days

and in doing so I was just testing everything and making sure everything was sweet and clean.

On zooming in on something about 2 foot in front of me with my 55-200mm lens it wouldn't auto focus and there was a noise like a motor just spinning inside but focused ok on something further. So after a few tries I still had the same issue and couldn't ever remember it doing it before so I took the lens off and tried my 18-55mm and that was fine. So at first just took it that I was to close to the test item. But upon closer inspection I found what looks like oil or moisture in the lens and I'm finding it quite worrying. I've never noticed it before and can't understand how it's got there as I've never been near water or even rain with the kit. As you can see (if I've uploaded correctly) that the opposite side is dry and the other end of the lens seems off to me as well if you can see it.

Has anyone seen this before or has any suggestions as to what I can do about it?

Eagerly waiting for the responses.

Thank you. Tony

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    It is likely the focus distance, the minimum focus distance on that lens is 3.9 feet. As for the moisture, the barrels of lenses are well lubricated with oil. It seems to be seeping out a bit, I would not be alarmed as long as it is not on the glass itself and the lens functions as it should. You should take it out and test it fully and make sure however just to be safe.

TheMadWelshman likes this.
  3. TheMadWelshman

TheMadWelshman New Member

Equipment:
    Eos 30D, Canon 55-200mm, Canon 18-55mm and assorted external flashes, remotes etc and battery Grip
    Thank you so much for the reply and sorry taking so long to reply. Xmas with family and all that. I'll be going out hopefully later today so I'll test my kit out properly and update. And I it looks like it could be the oil. I've had the lens near a warm heat source since I posted and it hasn't gone so does look like more of an oil grease type stain now. Thanks again.