Ideal Lens choice for Canon Users

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by Anthony Robinson, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Anthony Robinson

Anthony Robinson New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon T6s, Canon 70-300mm f/4 L lens
    What longer lens to choose?
    My choice was the 70mm - 300mm f/4 L lens. I have been very happy with that choice along with a 1.4X tele-converter for several years now.
    Sometimes I have thought the 100mm to 400mm L lens would be a good choice. The latest version is a great lens, yet my 70mm to 300mm would be missed because 70mm is so much more valuable more often than the 100mm. There are so many houses and cars; [ for example ], that you can take easily with the 70mm while the 100mm seems impossible.
    The size is just right as well. Size and weight are more important than I ever thought.
    So, my advice is think over 70mm - 300mm carefully before you invest in your ' Workhorse ' lens.
    For macro photos I use a Panasonic FZ point and shoot camera. Saves on costly macro lens and is handy for wide angle and macro alongside your Canon camera. No need to ever take your 70 - 300mm off the Canon. Keeps the sensor really clean for ever. TG

2. Blurwi

Blurwi New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon R
    Canon 24-105mm Lens
    Minolta Auto 320 External Flash
    I am using the EFS 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS STM lens for wildlife. I have been very pleasantly surprised by the quality of photo's of birds and ducks etc. My ambition would be someday to have say the 150-400mm lens the present lens is sufficient. I can recommend it.

denn and Vasile Guta-Ciucur like this.
  3. pcake

pcake Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon SL1
    55-250 STM
    18-55 STM
    Yongnuo 50mm 1.8
    i agree that 70-100mm would be missed. i shoot with a 55-250 STM for closer birds, and the 55mm end allows me to get close things like flowers, rusty locks, etc, and i sometimes carry a panasonic ZS50 for macros, wider shots and in case i need up to 720mm for something; if i'm going where the birds are generally further away, i bring my nikon P610 for shots up to 1440mm. since i have wrist damage, the heavier lenses are probably out for me, but in spots like marina del rey's fisherman's village, the 55-250 STM is a perfect solution.

btw, i know a guy who shoots all his wildlife - and he gets great shots - with a 150-600 sigma. it wouldn't be a single lens solution for me as i'm not strong enough to use it freehand like he does, and i often like to shoot closer things as well as birds, but he only shoots wildlife and birds, so it works very well for him.

4. Anthony Robinson

Anthony Robinson New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon T6s, Canon 70-300mm f/4 L lens
    I bet your panasonic ZS 50 gives you some fine macros. If it is anything like my Panasonic FZ47. I can understand how heavy lenses can be so demanding. Holding the long lens and waiting long periods can give me a cramp. But it takes patience to get good looong shots. TG

5. pcake

pcake Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon SL1
    55-250 STM
    18-55 STM
    Yongnuo 50mm 1.8
    i do like its macros, although the P610 also does good ones.

it's not just demanding - due to tendonitis and torn muscles, holding a heavy camera or lens is quite painful and causes shaking fairly quickly. it can also cause further damage, and while i'm working on rehabbing, for now it's not possible. i can, however, track and wait with an SL1 and 55-250 STM or a nikon P610, and since i couldn't for some time, i feel pretty fortunate. and with more PT, i'm hoping to work my way up to something a little beefier :)

6. Gerry Dawes

Gerry Dawes Gerry Dawes's Spain: An Insider's Guide Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 5D Mark III, 77d, plus Canon M5, M3 & M10 ; many lenses
    To get away from the weight of the Canon 5D Mark III, 6D & 7D and 70-200mm L lens with tele-extender, I sold the 6D & 7D and the lens (and kept the 17-40mm & 24-105mm for serious shoots) and bought the 77d with the 10-18mm & 18-135mm, then augmented that with the M5 (and M3) with those smaller lenses, the 15-45mm, 18-150mm and also have available the 22mm & 55-250mm M lenses. I also kept the ligher EF 70-300mm for a longer lens on both the 5D and the 77d crop body.

7. denn

denn . Site Supporter

Equipment:
    canon 70d
    40mm 2.8 stm
    55-250 stm
    + some old manual focus optics :)
    for those on a lower budget (like myself :p ) ..i agree with Blurwi there about the 55-250 STM, its lightweight, has decent stabilization, not the fastest for sure, but if your careful it takes nice shots in decent light. Its a pleasure to use really.