In 2023 can I get film developing in Arizona?

Discussion in 'Film Photography' started by Powerstroke73, Apr 9, 2023.

1. Powerstroke73

Powerstroke73 New Member

Equipment:
    T6 rebel
    I have a few film cameras that would be fun to use. I've not shot film in a long time.
    Does anyone know of places in the state of Arizona that do in house film developing?

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Sorry, I can not be of help, as I am down in Tasmania at the bottom of the world, but I will say it's good to see you are stll using film.

3. Powerstroke73

Powerstroke73 New Member

Equipment:
    T6 rebel
    I have a few minolta cameras. In fact the one John Glenn took into outerspace in 1962 . I have a 80s one I used to shoot a roll of old film. No way to develop it easily or reasonably priced means.

4. Powerstroke73

Powerstroke73 New Member

Equipment:
    T6 rebel
  5. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I volunteer at a Op shop and handle all the camera gear, any that I consider not in good condition , I purchase strip down, clean, lubricate, replace light seals and mirror buffer pads. At last count I have 36 cameras, most working and few I have to get arounnd to it. Add to that lenses and thankfully no nagging wife to hassle me about my collection.
    Cool stereo, too. I like the fact that you can tune in to a station manually using a dial.

6. Powerstroke73

Powerstroke73 New Member

Equipment:
    T6 rebel
    We don't seem to have camera shops any where anymore. The 80s have come and went and the 90s too. I know some people develop their own and then make prints from the negatives. Or should I say that I have heard that. Last person I knew who was a photographer of sorts said in 2014 or so that he stopped using film because it was too costly

7. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    There is two of them in Hobart, the capital city here in Tasmania, I have half built my darkroom under my house, the only thing slowing it down is my lazyness and getting time to do it.
    I have 3 photo enlargers and the various developing gear, I have gathered over time.
    Most of all, I miss the joy of see my photos for the first time when I open the envolope that they come in.

Powerstroke73 likes this.
  8. Powerstroke73

Powerstroke73 New Member

Equipment:
    T6 rebel
    I have a few ham radio contacts in Tasmania I believe. I'll have to check my log. We get Australia like fleas on a dog here. New Zealand also.
    Another expensive hobby. But I fix radios and prefer older gear.
    I remember being a kid in the 80s shooting film on some Kodak instamatic
    For the name of that cartridge film. I took alot of pictures with it. Then i got one of those pretend 35mm film auto cameras .
    Fake controls. Fully auto. I still had fun with it.
    Saw a Canon ae1 today at a thrift store. No lenses and they wanted $50
    Had to pass on that.
    I have a minolta x370 were those any good? I has 3 lenses. Ones probably 35-55mm or so and then a longer one like 70-250mm. It takes some coin batteries that didn't last long. Got the original manual and flash. And a excellent case for $12 a few years ago. I shot a roll of old film that came with it. And that was that. I think 2020 it's been sitting.
    Otherwise I'm all digital. Cheap t7 and t6 rebels and a d7 I picked up cheap yesterday

9. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    I have a friend called Gordon who is into ham radio till his girlfriend come along and did not want all his junk to come with him when he moved in.
    She later kicked him out and all he does now is listen to the ham radio news in the internet. Going off track and back onto cameras, my newist toy is a Rolliflex 620 to fix up, the film winder is a bit loose. This is one of 4 medium format cameras I have plus about 20 undeveloped rolls of 35mm and 120 medium format film. Must get my darkroom finished one day.

10. Powerstroke73

Powerstroke73 New Member

Equipment:
    T6 rebel
    So how complicated is to project the image from the negative onto paper ?
    I'm thinking expensive and difficult

11. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    I have never done it before, then again I never taught a photography class either, that was ten years ago and lately I average eleven students of a Tuesday.
    Youtube is your best friend for learning, I suggest you look at Trangent, he teaches it like a school teacher does and it basic and easy to learn.
    This is for Black and White, colour is a bit more involved where a constant temprature is needed, check out youtube again.
    Developing Film, this can easily be done at home again look what is on youtube. and then use a digital camera and a tripod to photograph the negatives.
    Check up again on youtube , all the best with it, Craig S.

12. Powerstroke73

Powerstroke73 New Member

Equipment:
    T6 rebel
    I was watching the b&w negative stuff. Seems pretty simple and easy to mess up too.

13. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Check out trangent, he is simple and to the point, worth the effort

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  14. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I believe CVS still does same day photo and is out in AZ if you just want a cheap easy turnaround of some negative film. Walmart would be similar in that regard. Also in AZ there seem to be a few Photo labs based on a google search, PHX Film Lab , Phoenix Photo Lab and TCR Photo Imaging Center in Tempe pop up as the 1st 3 if you have more specific needs like B&W or different film sizes I would expect them to help.

I Typically ship my film from ND out to TheDarkroom.Com in California as I usually shoot 120 when I do shoot film and they handle everything you cold possibly want for formats and custom push / pull developing if needed. And they have scanning services as well that do not break the bank. But I guess i would compare and see what you may have locally in Az,.

Powerstroke73 likes this.
  15. Powerstroke73

Powerstroke73 New Member

Equipment:
    T6 rebel
    Yeah there's a CVS near by. I tried to call them. Walmart here says they don't do anything. I'll check out Google. Thanks

16. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I am lucky enough to have a bricks and mortar camera shop reasonably close to me. But if I didn't have that option, I would be on the hunt for a mail order developer.

Gary