In the process of purchasing 1st camera?help?

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by ShazyJeoOnYoutube, Apr 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ShazyJeoOnYoutube

ShazyJeoOnYoutube New Member

Equipment:
    T6 DSLR camera
    Hello everyone?
    I am in the process of purchasing my 1st DSLR camera.
    I needed some solid advise on buying 1st camera.
    I make a lot videos and my budget is limited.
    The process of narrowed down to this specific model to buy is :-

EOS Rebel T6 Digital SLR Camera Kit with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 DC III Lens

Is it a good camera for videos? (1080p)
    Also is good for sound recording using its mic ?
    At the moment I can get this one reasonably affordable price brand new.
    Any guidance appreciated?
    Thanks.

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, first I would recommend that you go to the store that is selling the camera and try it in video mode and see if the results suit you.
    Next go on You Tube and check out " Is the Canon T6 WORTH IT For Video in 2019?!" this shows someone actually using the camera and his thoughts. Could be useful. I use the Canon 60D and do a lot of videoing, the Rebel T6 is similar. You will be limited in the time the camera lets you can use video before you have to restart the video function. This means for a long video you have to make a series of video clips joined together. You will need to put the video clips into a program such as Photoshop or something similar. There is some free pregames available on the internet All the best with it and have fun.

3. ShazyJeoOnYoutube

Equipment:
    T6 DSLR camera
    Thanks for the response.Really I had compared all or most brand new cameras at this price range. I also watched the reviews on YouTube. But I am going today to purchase one anyways. I need a professional camera besides for videos regardless.
    There are better cameras for videos but they are definitely out of range for my budget. I think I will be satisfied with t6 brand new model until my hands are professional in using it. That's is why I haven't made any negative remarks. There is a huge collection of cameras. I will ask the salesman one last time for alternatives but I doubt he will give a good judgement.
    Keeping fingers crossed.

4. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Good you are heading in the right direction , my only suggestion now is try and get a external microphone with one of those furry covers that dampen external sounds as the one on a camera picks up all kinda noise that you don't need . This is a pain when you are trying to edit the film clip

5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Good luck with the purchase.

Gary

6. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I'm sure you'll be pretty happy since you did your homework. About all you can do is research some reviews that compare them side by side so you know what to expect, and compare drawbacks from similar cameras in the category your looking at.

Good luck :)

7. ShazyJeoOnYoutube

Equipment:
    T6 DSLR camera
    Well I was thinking of getting microphone but don't know if t6 has ability to add microphone?
    Yes I ended up getting a T6 DSLR camera finally. Tried to take my 1st picture but couldn't! Ended up calling tech support and they assisted me in taking my 1st picture

8. ShazyJeoOnYoutube

Equipment:
    T6 DSLR camera
    Hi
    Thanks for reaching out. Yes I know about the fact of reviews. I initially didn't hear much positive reviews on this camera but I will produce a professional review on it on my YouTube channel. There is a lot of criticism on t6 rebel against it for a YouTuber camera. But everyone is on a different level in terms of using the camera itself. The t6 has good 1080 p video recording functionality so I will make this & some other features as base for good Youtube camera model.

9. Amy Walters

Amy Walters Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50mm F/1.4 USM, Canon 100mm L IS Macro, Canon EF 16- 35mm f/1.4, Canon 28-70mm f/2.8 USM L, Canon 85mm f1.8 USM, Yongnuo wireless trigger system, Amazon basic speedlites, Elinchrom D lite1 , various softboxes, Canon support ring for Macro lens, all lens covers etc, etc
    It sounds as if you are into making videos whereas I am a stills photographer so this may be less relevant and more general advice....but I have a Canon 5D Mk II which I bought 2nd hand, trading in to get money off with what in the USA they call the Rebel something so only paid around £580........anyway it's a gem, a reliable professional DSLR, it has all facilities for AV use, if that's what you want. I don't know your level of experience- I have progressed to what I would describe as intermediate (I'm studying photography and doing a photography apprenticeship) but this camera has never steered me wrong. I know of top pro's like Dr Dawn Miller who has had hers for 10 years and it's still going strong. When it arrived, being second hand, it had a teeny tiny scratch on the bit where you put the strap through but really come on- big deal. As mentioned above by these more experienced gentleman, do your homework and really think about what you will use it for most and how much future additional accessories may be- that's something people don't always think about.
    WARNING- don't go into a big chain store looking naive clutching your wad of cash and saying you want a DSLR. They will offload something they've been trying to get rid of with some cheapo kit lenses. Happens ALL the time. Go in with intelligent questions and with a pretty good idea of what you want and don't let them put you off! You don't get this on here, the guys are lovely and never patronising, but sadly in the camera/AV world a lot of men will condescend to you and talk to you like you don't know how to use a polaroid camera.
    So to summarise my ramble.........think what you will be using it for most
    consider trading in/second hand/refurbished from a REPUTABLE independent camera shop
    also consider LOANING the camera you think you want to buy and try it out for 3 days, see how it feels
    and last but not least, don't let some arrogant tech guy make you feel small or push you into buying something, let him know you know what you are talking about and never rush into buying!

The people on here are great as well, I've always had good advice from really great guys.Stick with us and you will be fine!!

ShazyJeoOnYoutube likes this.
  10. ShazyJeoOnYoutube

Equipment:
    T6 DSLR camera
    I finally bought my 1st Canon Rebel T6 DSLR Eos camera. I want to make YouTube videos out it primary function, photography is secondary option. I was reconsidering going into the major department electronic store, had second guessed exactly as you mentioned. I did my research on camera's and got reasonable understanding of cameras basics. The problem with my 1st purchase was the total budget. I found a small retail shop selling brand new canon cameras and around $80 off the mega department storesane camera price. I went in small shop checked out the camera & made the purchase, the guy didn't even have time to convince me as he was taking telephone calls while I was there. I was afraid to go into major department store with half knowledge so to speak.

As a 1st camera I am delighted by the basic DSLR with options to get accessories on this model. I have yet to shoo a videot using the camera itself.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  11. Amy Walters

Amy Walters Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50mm F/1.4 USM, Canon 100mm L IS Macro, Canon EF 16- 35mm f/1.4, Canon 28-70mm f/2.8 USM L, Canon 85mm f1.8 USM, Yongnuo wireless trigger system, Amazon basic speedlites, Elinchrom D lite1 , various softboxes, Canon support ring for Macro lens, all lens covers etc, etc
    If it's what I think it is, AKA the 1300D as it's known in the UK, you have made a great purchase. Plus I bought mine YEARS ago, so I bet yours will have advanced in many ways to become a better version. Whilst I said I'm intermediate i.e I understand setting up studio lighting, I know without thinking what a certain scene PROBABLY needs for ISO, etc etc, I'm by no means an expert AT ALL like so many people on here. Sponge up their knowledge and also ask them any questions- they won't make you feel stupid and have been so friendly and helpful here. Example; I felt like a total numpty when I realised the answer to one of my own questions was that the batteries on my speedlite had drained:oops:......but no one laughed or anything and it was just another way of chatting with someone else!

But if you have a question about the rebel, not only do I remember mine like the back of my hand, I have a manual I bought on the 1300D about 3/4 years ago when I first got it. If you have any questions you are shy to ask- connect with me and we can DM (I think you can do that on here!). I'll even post you the book- are you based in the UK or USA? We MAY have to split shipping costs but the book is free!! To prove I'm not a weirdo here is my facebook page below- add me if you like or just check it out to confirm I am in fact who I say I am! It's nice to have more women representing on here! Also check out the group SheClicks on facebook- another very NON judgy forum for questions,showing off your first pics which I'm sure you have already taken (!) and just general kit advice.

Amy x :)
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032430380523