Inconsistent exposure with Canon MKIII on manual mode

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Marc, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Marc

Marc New Member

Equipment:
    5D MKIII
    Hello!

I'm getting inconsistent exposure in different shots when shooting the same subject, with the exact same lighting & exposure settings on manual mode (aperture, shutter speed & ISO unchanged). This happens when shooting consecutive shots for example. It's happening with both my lenses & also when shooting with no lens. It's subtle but causing real problems with what I'm shooting atm. Any idea what could be causing this?

I've never had this issue before.. Would be super grateful if anyone could shed some light on this..

2. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    I'm not quite sure how you are managing to shoot with no lens !

Assuming that you are not using spot metering. The normal reasons for inconsistent exposure are zooming the lens which changes the overall brightness of the scene or light getting in through the viewfinder eyepiece which upsets the metering.

3. Marc

Marc New Member

Equipment:
    5D MKIII
    Hello,

Thanks for your response.

You can shoot with no lens with the Canon 5D Mk III by setting [release shutter without lens] to [enable] in the settings. I believe this can be done with most Canon cameras.. Though I could be wrong about this.

I didn't mention in my original post but I'm using prime lenses, so no zooming involve. And I'm using fully manual settings, no metering of any kind is involved either.

I recently purchased a lens with manual aperture control, believing the issue to be inconsistent opening of the iris in the lens (common problem that stop motion animators are faced with when they need absolute consistency in exposure from frame to frame)- this has reduced the inconsistency in exposure but there is still inconsistency.

I believe there could be an issue with the shutter, or something else.. I'm sending my camera to Canon to be looked at.

4. Ray-UK

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    Ah, I understand what you mean by no lens now, I always think that Canon should have called this shooting with manual lens.

If you are adjusting aperture and shutter manually and not using cameras exposure metering, exposure compensation or auto ISO then I agree that you most likely have a shutter problem.

5. Marc

Marc New Member

Equipment:
    5D MKIII
    Ok, good to know that you agree regarding my shutter diagnostic- I don't really know much about this at all, but figured it might be something along those lines after the tests I did.

When I say I was shooting with no lens. I was literally shooting with no lens.. Nothing attached to the camera. In this mode you can shoot with a lens not recognized by the camera, or nothing attached at all. Sorry if I'm just reiterating what you know already, but I just wanted to clarify.

6. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    You did mention subtle difference. What is the light source could that be something to look at? I would normally contribute this to inconsistency from a light source? Its hard to consider all factors not really knowing what/how of the photoshoot. Another question, is camera still on AWB so each shot gets a new wb reading that could cause some slight variations in the image? I can't imagine it would be terribly difficult to correct in LR.

Ray-UK likes this.
  7. Ray-UK

Equipment:
    Johnsey has made a good suggestion, most artificial light sources flicker on and off too fast for us to see and it easy for the camera to make the exposure when the light is in the off or dim part of the cycle, some cameras now have an anti-flicker option to prevent this happening. Probably the best test to give your your camera is to see if you still have the problem outdoors in constant daylight.